Baseball drops MAC opener to Ohio 5-1

mensbaseballmarch29-12
Men's baseball team faces Northern Illinois March 29 at Theunissen Stadium.

For the first time since May 25, 2019, CMU baseball played a Mid-American Conference regular season game. 

Unlike their previous conference game, a 10-3 win over Ball State which clinched the 2019 MAC Regular Season Championship, the Chippewas fell to Ohio 5-1 Friday in Athens, Ohio.

Friday’s loss snaps CMU’s (8-7 overall, 0-1 MAC) three-game winning streak and were held to two hits for the second time this season.. The Bobcat’s improve to 8-7 overall and 2-3 in conference action.

KEY MOMENTS

CMU struck first on the top of the first behind a Zach Lechner single, scoring Mario Camilletti to give the Chippewas an early 1-0 advantage. Midland junior Jordan Patty nearly kept the Bobcats off the board in the first, but allowed a home run on a full count with two outs in the bottom of the first.

The Bobcats added two runs in the second and earned another long ball in the third to open a 4-1 lead. Ohio managed to load the bases with one out in the third, but Patty earned back-to-back strikeouts to keep the Bobcats advantage at 4-1 after three innings.

The Chippewas managed to load the bases with two outs in the top half of the fifth, but redshirt freshman right fielder Jakob Marsee grounded out, keeping the score at 4-1. The Bobcats struck in their half of the seventh after an Ohio bunt attempt forced a CMU throwing error from Ryan Culley, expanding the home team's advantage to 5-1. 

KEY PERFORMANCES

Lechner and Chase Rollin earned a hit each. Camilletti drew two walks and scored CMU’s lone run.

Patty hurled six innings, allowing four runs (three earned) off eight hits while issuing three walks and striking out seven. The Midland High School alum did not allow a run in his final three innings. 

Logan Buczkowski and Drew Alsobrooks combined to throw 1 ⅔ scoreless innings in relief. 

Ohio’s Joe Rock allowed one earned run off two hits while allowing three walks and earning six strikeouts in six innings. Rock is one of two MAC pitchers projected to be first round picks in the 20201 MLB according to prospectslive.com.

KEY STATS

The Chippewas have now committed nine errors in their seven losses. CMU has committed five total errors in their eight victories this season.

CMU finished 1-for-11 with runners on base. 

WHAT’S NEXT

The Chippewas and Bobcats start a doubleheader at 1 p.m. Saturday.