Volleyball's Savannah Thompson, Lisbeth Rosario-Martinez named All-MAC First Team

5850bf6b-f831-417d-b247-2836160a8dce
Santo Domingo senior Lisbeth Rosario-Martinez, left, and Thornton, Ill. junior Savannah Thompson sky for a block, Mar. 26.

Savannah Thompson and Lisbeth Rosario-Martinez have been recognized for their strong seasons. 

In a press release by the Mid-American Conference on March 31, Thompson, a junior outside hitter, and Rosario-Martinez, a senior middle blocker, were initially named to the 2021 All-MAC Second Team. 

On April 7 after a post-season vote by MAC coaches, updates were made to the honors which named Thompson and Rosario-Martinez to a now 14-person All-MAC First Team roster.

Thompson served as an offensive powerhouse for the Chippewas during the 22-game MAC season, contributing 340 of CMU's 1202 total kills, placing her seventh in the MAC at an average 3.70 kills per set. She finished fifth in the MAC for points per set, averaging 4.13 for a total of 379.5 points scored.

Rosario-Martinez ranked first in the MAC in hitting percentage at a walloping .365, .10 percent higher than second. She finished third in kills for CMU at 181 and led the Chippewas in blocking power with a total of 78.

In 2019, Rosario-Martinez was named to All-MAC First Team alongside senior outside hitter Kalina Smith, who had to forego a majority of the 2021 season with the Chippewas due to injury.

Additionally, Thompson was named to the All-MAC Freshman team in 2018.

Both of the players are currently expected to return to head coach Mike Gawlik's squad in the Fall 2021 season.