Quiara Wheeler throws to MAC title, young CMU team shows at home tournament

Chippewas finish fifth overall

quiara-wheeler
Flint senior Quiara Wheeler competes in the weight throw during the 2021 MAC Indoor Track and Field Championships on Feb. 28, 2021 at Jack Skoog Track. (Ben Suddendorf)

Quiara Wheeler had already captured the CMU record for the weight throw. 

Wheeler, a Flint senior, beat her own record and earned a Mid-American Conference championship during the first day of the MAC Indoor Track and Field Championships at Jack Skoog Track on Feb. 26-27. 

Ranked No. 10 nationally, Wheeler's previous record was 19.75 meters, her throw in the championship landed at 20.59 meters, almost a full meter over Novi senior Marissa Dunn's 19.66.

Lansing senior Maya Bennett finished fifth in the final with a 18.55. 

Other Day One notables

Etobicoke, Ontario sophomore Hayley Manners earned a second-place finish in the long jump, setting a personal record of 6.03 meters on Feb. 26.

CMU also had a fourth place finish from Negaunee freshman Emily Paupore in the 5,000-meter run and a fifth place from Farwell senior Kasey Staley in pole vault.

Canton redshirt freshman Reghan Draper and Southfield freshman Kaitlynn Rush both made the final in the 60-meter dash with respective third and fifth-place finishes. 

Day Two notables

Draper finished fourth in the final of the 60 with a time of 7.57 while Rush (7.64) finished eighth in the final. 

Lansing senior Erin Howard finished fourth in the shot put with a throw of 15.68 meters. 

Rockford freshman Taylor Korytkowski, Ludington freshman Emma Fountain, Rockford freshman Peyton Korytkowski and Dunkirk, New York freshman Jericha Petrella finished fifth in the 4x400 relay with a 3:53.23. 

Fountain also earned a fourth-place finish in the 800 with a 2:13.75 finishing time. 

Final standings

Eastern Michigan won the men's side of the competition with a team score of 184. Akron finished second with 176. Kent State finished third with 97 points and Buffalo rounded out the four-team field with 64 points. 

CMU finished fifth on the women's side with a total of 60 points. Northern Illinois won the contest with a score of 127, Akron finished second with 104 points and Bowling Green finished 86. 

WOMEN'S STANDINGS

Northern Illinois 127
Akron 104
Bowling Green 86
Eastern Michigan 77
Central Michigan 60
Kent State 54
Miami (Ohio) 53.5
Ball State 30.5
Toledo 21.5
Buffalo 21.5
Western Michigan 16
Ohio 12