Chippewa women to face Iowa in NCAA First Round

CMU to serve as 12 seed in upcoming NCAA Tournament

e51210db-37b4-48d6-89af-e5b3a06a8d82
Midland sophomore guard Molly Davis drives the ball against Northern Illinois on March 10 at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Ben Suddendorf)

Central Michigan's women's basketball team now knows its opponent to open the NCAA Tournament. 

The Chippewas (18-8) will face Iowa at noon on March 21. The Chippewas will serve as the No. 12 in the River Walk Region. 

CMU and Iowa have faced off once with the Hawkeyes winning in 2010. 

This season marks the sixth time CMU has played in the NCAA Tournament -- third in a row -- and seventh time the program earned a spot in the field after last season's tournament was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

In previous tournaments, CMU was a No. 8 seed in 2019 (loss to Michigan State in First Round) and the No. 11 seed in 2013 (loss to No. 6 Oklahoma in the First Round) and 2018 (Sweet 16 loss to No. 2 Oregon).

While in a bubble to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the tournament will be divided into four regions: Alamo, River Walk, Hemisfair and Mercado. Games will be played across five different locations: The Alamodome (San Antonio), Bill Greehey Arena (San Antonio), UTSA Convocation Center (San Antonio), Frank Erwin Center (Austin, Texas) and University Events Center (San Marcos, Texas).  

The tournament begins with the First Round on March 21-22 with the National Championship on April 4 at the Alamodome. Each game of the tournament will be televised ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.