CMU women's golf makes history with first match play title in program history

Central Michigan's women's golf team made history with its unbeaten weekend to earn its first match play title in program history. 

The Chippewas went 3-0 in the Aggie Spring Invitational at Forest Oaks Country Club in Greensboro, North Carolina.

The Chippewas defeated the host, North Carolina A&T, in three of five matches Sunday to secure the title. The team also defeated Appalachian State and High Point in previous matches throughout the event. After the victory, the Chippewas currently stand ranked 82nd in the national rankings. 

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin freshman Rachel Kauflin led the way for the Chippewas, going unbeaten throughout the weekend. Vienna, Austria sophomore Zoe Vartyan and Johor Baru, Malaysia freshman Ashley Goh were each 2-1, while Clarkston senior Megan Deardorff and Valdosta, Georgia sophomore Padgett Chitty finished 1-2 on the weekend. 

The Chippewas continue their growth as a program, as this follows the program earning its first stroke play tournament in fall 2019 at the Golden Grizzly invitational. 

At the Mid-American Conference Challenge in Lakewood Ranch, Florida, where CMU opened its season, the team finished fifth. 

CMU was the No. 4 seed in the Aggie Spring Invitational and won all three of its matches 3-2. 

"We beat three really good southern teams," said head coach Jim Earle. "High Point and Appalachian State have had a lot of success. We were the four seed going into this thing, and we just came out ready to play and beat some really good teams we were up against."

The Chippewa golfers are next in action on March 20 at the Northern Kentucky Match Play event, which will take place at Boone Links Golf Course in Florence, Kentucky.