Eric Fisher, former Chippewa and No. 1 overall pick, released by Chiefs

eric-fisher-cmu
Eric Fisher at Central Michigan. Courtesy photo — Philly.com

Former Central Michigan left tackle and top pick in the 2013 NFL Draft Eric Fisher was released by the Kansas City Chiefs. ESPN's Adam Schefter first reported Fisher's release Thursday.

The Chiefs also released their other starting tackle Mitchell Schwartz. Releasing the two linemen saves KC nearly $18 million in cap space. After the moves, the Chiefs are still nearly $3 million dollars over the $182 million cap limit NFL teams are facing this season. 

Fisher played eight seasons for the Chiefs after the organization took him No. 1 overall, the first player to be taken first from the Mid-American Conference. 

In his eight years, Fisher played 117 games and became a mainstay at left tackle. He played all 16 games in five consecutive seasons, from 2014-18, and most recently played 15 games in 2020. 

Fisher played a key role on Kansas City's Super Bowl LIV-winning team, though he started only eight regular season games due to an injury. He started 15 games in 2020 before suffering a torn achilles in the Chiefs' AFC championship game win over Buffalo. 

Without Fisher in the Super Bowl, quarterback Patrick Mahomes struggled to find time to throw against the pass rush of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tampa Bay defeated Kansas City 31-9. 

Fisher has one year left on his contract.