City Commission amends downtown housing ordinance, accepts neighborhood enhancement grant

city-commision-screenshot

Mount Pleasant City Commission Zoom meeting on March 22, 2021.

Mount Pleasant City Commission focused on residential housing at its March 22 meeting by amending an ordinance to permit additional residential housing downtown. It also accepted a grant for neighborhood enhancement.

(Commissioner Lori Gilis was absent from the meeting)

Ordinance to amend downtown residential housing

Commission members unanimously voted to update three sections of the Mount Pleasant Zoning Ordinance, which will affect residential housing downtown and the south side of Mission Street. City Manager Nancy Ridley explained that the updated ordinance will, “allow for residential dwellings to be on the ground floor under certain circumstances.”

The goal is to expand downtown properties towards mixed uses. The amendment will encourage people to live in commercial areas as well as help property owners.

“The circumstances will be limited by location in the city, being in the downtown areas and the south part of Mission Street,” Ridley said. “And it would not be on the street side of the building.”

Ground-level residential uses have historically been prohibited, barred by a special requirement in the zoning ordinance. Ridley said the change was spurred by a recommendation from a 2019 housing study report.

City Planner Jacob Kain responded to Commissioner George Ronan’s worry over potential downsides.

“I don’t believe there are downsides,” Kain said. “It’s drafted to ensure it’s not detrimental to commercial districts, and I think this would add flexibility for property owners and also help our businesses.”

Commissioner Petro Tolas added, “We’re not going to be taking up frontage, but there are a lot of buildings down there that have dead space in the back, which this can be utilized for.”

Accepted neighborhood enhancement grant

For a second year, the city commission approved a $30,000 grant from Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) for neighborhood enhancement.

“The program experienced major success in 2020,” Ridley said. “All of the projects were completed except three, which are all almost done due to COVID-related delays.”

In addition to the grant, commission members voted to contribute $60,000 from the city’s funds to continue the program’s outreach. An estimated $9,300 will also rollover from last year’s program.

This year, the commission also voted to add a homeowner contribution to support the program. The maximum owner contribution would be 25% on approved projects between $7,500 and $10,000.

Other business

• A resolution was approved that extended the conditional medical marijuana grower operation license for MI Operations LLC.
  • The commission approved the annual sidewalk replacement program and Gaylord Street reconstruction.

The entire city commission meeting can be viewed on the city commission’s Youtube.