CMU gymnastics wins home quad, rolling toward MAC Championships

gymnastics3-13-8

The Chippewa gymnastics team won their second quad meet in a row with a score of 196.425 against Eastern's 196.100, Ball State's 195.650, and Western's 194.500 Mar. 13 in McGuirk Arena. 

A repeat winning effort for CMU's gymnastics team, exactly what the Chippewas want. 

For the second week in-a-row CMU again has taken first in their second quad meet. The Chippewas won with a score of 196.425 against Eastern Michigan’s 196.100, Ball State’s 195.650 and Western Michigan's 194.500 in Mid-American Conference gymnastics Saturday in McGuirk Arena.

Confidence and focus was expressed on the faces of the Chippewas (9-3) taking down the rival Broncos (6-6) by nearly 2 points. Eastern (15-6) posted their highest team score of the season and Ball State (14-3) had a solid bars lineup.

CMU’s head coach Christine MacDonald explained how the more noise and action going on around helps the team focus better.

“It’s like white noise, so it creates energy and they feed off of that energy number one and number two it puts them in their own bubble,” MacDonald said.

The CMU gymnastics squad has been consistently improving individual and team scores every week. The timing of these season-high scores will play a significant role in the MAC Championships next week.

“We always just want to go out and do our best and the fact that we go back and get that half-a-tenth or quarter-tenth better is showing,” said senior Sydney Williams. 

Impact moments

As the host, CMU started on the vault -- where it wanted to -- and posted a 49.125, the second-highest of the season. 

EMU posted a 48.950 on the bars, WMU scored a 48.450 on the beam and BSU earned a 49.075 on the floor. Chippewa freshman Elizabeth Cesarone scored a season-high 9.875 on the vault. CMU took the early lead, but the Cardinals were not far behind.

Through the second rotation, the Chippewas were able to maintain their lead with a 48.925 on the bars. Eastern scored a 49.275 on the beam, the highest score of the rotation. Western posted a 49.050 on the floor and Ball State managed a 49.075 on the vault. CMU’s MAC Gymnast of the Week Hannah Demers, EMU junior Shannon Gregory and EMU senior Jada Rondeau all posted 9.900 in their respected events.

On to the third rotation, CMU moved to the beam and scored a 48.850. Eastern posted a 48.875 on the floor, Western scored a 48.850 on the vault and Ball State got a 49.250 on the bars. Even though the Chippewas had to take a fall into their score, junior Morgan Tong and freshman Amber Mueller were each able to post 9.900 to make up for it. Ball State also had two 9.900 scores on bars.

In the fourth rotation, CMU finished on the floor in spectacular fashion with a season high 49.525. Demers, junior Sierra DeMarinis and senior Sydney Williams all scored 9.900 and above -- with Demers earning a 9.950. Eastern scored a 49.000 on the vault, Western posted a 48.150 on the bars and Ball State got 48.600 on the beam. The Chippewas performed their final event with extreme precision and focus, feeding off each other’s energy.

Chippewa leaders

Cesarone had the team-high 9.875 on vault.

Demers had the meet-high 9.900 on the bars, the meet high 9.950 on the floor and the meet high 39.525 on the all-around.

Tong and Mueller tied the meet-high 9.900 on the beam.

Bronco leaders

Sophomore Ronni Binstock had the team-high 9.800 on vault.

Senior Stacie Harrison had the team-high 9.850 on bars.

Sophomore Payton Murphy had the team-high 9.875 on the beam and the team high 9.850 on the floor.

Freshman Sarah Moravansky had the team-high 38.450 on the all-around.

Eagle leaders

Sophomore Hadyn Crossen had the meet-high 9.925 on vault.

Rondeau had the team-high 9.875 on the bars, the team high 9.875 on the floor and the team high 39.475 on the all-around.

Gregory and Rondeau tied the meet-high of 9.900 on the beam. 

Cardinal leaders

Freshman Victoria Henry had the team-high 9.825 on vault.

Henry and sophomore Megan Teter tied the meet-high 9.900 on bars.

Junior Marissa Nychyk tied the meet-high 9.900 on the beam and had the team high of 39.050 on the all-around.

Sophomore Alivia Ostendorf had the team-high 9.850 on the floor.

Up next

The Chippewas on their way to the MAC Championships at 2 p.m. Saturday in WMU's Read Fieldhouse.