Men's hoops loses two players to transfer portal

mbball-02-23-3
The men's basketball team plays Miami Feb. 23 in McGuirk Arena.

CMU guards PJ Mitchell and Ra'Shad Weekly-McDaniels have entered the transfer portal.

Mitchell, a redshirt sophomore, was a four-year letter winner at Detroit Edison and was selected First Team All-State by the Detroit News in 2015-16 and 2016-17. He redshirted for the 2018-19 campaign and averaged 1.7 point in 15 games in 2019-20 and averaged 2.6 points while appearing in every game this season, earning his lone career start against Miami (Ohio) on Feb. 23.

"First off I want to thank God for giving me this opportunity at CMU," Mitchell said in a Twitter post. "I would like to thank my support system that have been behind me on every part of my journey. I would like to thank the coaching staff at CMU as well. I wish nothing but the best for my teammates and hope they continue to follow their path.

"After talking and taking time to think about my future, I believe the best thing for me is to enter the transfer portal and start a new journey."

Weekly-McDaniels finished his lone season at CMU averaging 1.1 points per game, appearing in 15 contests. 

"First, I would like to say thanks to coach Keno (Davis) for giving me the opportunity to come here to Central Michigan to play and further my education," Weekly-McDaniels wrote in a Tweet. "Second, I would like to say thanks to all my teammates for pushing me and the rest of the staff. Thanks to all the people who helped me better myself while here at Central. ...

"After talking with my parents and praying, I think it's best for me to enter my name in the transfer portal. Thanks CMU for Everything. I will never forget it."

The two guards are the first two members of CMU's roster to announce they are not returning for the 2021-22 season. This season did not count as a year of eligibility, meaning everyone's class ranking will stay the same for 2021-22.