CMU football to play Michigan in 2025

Central Michigan's football team, led by coach Jim McElwain, prepares to take the field against Buffalo on Oct. 26 at UB Stadium in Buffalo, New York.

Central Michigan is heading back to the Big House. 

The Chippewas and Michigan have agreed to square off on the football field on Sept. 13, 2025 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor. 

When the teams meet, it will mark the fifth time the Chippewas and Wolverines have faced off, dating back to 1931. Since then, CMU and UM have played in 2003, 2006 and 2013 with all of the games taking place in Ann Arbor and all wins for Michigan. 

“This is another great opportunity for our student-athletes to compete on a national stage at one of college football’s top venues in the heart of our alumni footprint with over 160,000 alums in the surrounding area,” CMU Athletic Director Amy Folan said in a statement. 

CMU coach Jim McElwain was a member of the 2018 Wolverine coaching staff as the wide receivers coach before coming to Central Michigan. 

“I want to thank Coach (Jim) Harbaugh and AD Warde Manuel for the opportunity to play in the Big House for a great in-state match-up,” McElwain said.

Another tie between the programs is legendary coach, Herb Deromedi, graduated from Michigan in 1960. 

CMU has two other Big Ten matchups in the next two years -- Penn State in 2022 and Michigan State in 2023.