Commissioners amend contract for landfill evaluation, pass City Hall parking resolution

city-commission-april-12
Mount Pleasant City Commission Zoom meeting on April 12, 2021.

Mount Pleasant City Commission discussed landfill evaluation services and overnight parking at its April 12 meeting.

Commissioners approved a contract amendment with an environmental firm for additional landfill evaluation services. The city also approved a resolution allowing overnight parking in the City Hall parking lot.

Commissioner Olivia Cyman was absent from the meeting. Six commissioners were present.

Approved Landfill Evaluation

The landfill evaluation contract amendment calls for the next phase of investigation at the former landfill site, said City Manager Nancy Ridley. This amendment will allow environmental firm Mannik Smith Group (MSG) to expand their work at the site. This continued investigation will lead to a determination of the extent of contamination at the landfill, and the corrective action that will be required.

Ridley reminded the commissioners that the proposal is supported by the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE). The proposal will cost $39,700, with $20,000 covered by tribal funding and the remaining $19,700 paid from the General Fund Unassigned Fund Balance. 

Commissioner Petro Tolas, who has voted against this project twice in the past, expressed his disapproval of the amendment. He said the commission is taking action before a formal directive has been assigned, pleasing environmental companies in the “business of making money.”

“They keep demanding more,” Tolas said. “We’re going to wind up with a multi-millionaire dollar clean-up. Vote yes and burn some more taxpayer money up.”

However, Commissioner Mary Alsager argued the work is needed. She noted a document from June 2019 that shows a notification of the landfill being out of compliance.

The amendment passed in a 4-2 vote, with Gillis and Tolas being the dissenting votes.

Overnight Parking Resolution

The commission considered a resolution in support of final approval of Temporary Traffic Control Order #2-2020. The resolution will place an overnight permit parking sign in City Parking Lot 12 and allow for overnight parking in the City Hall parking lot, said Ridley.

Gillis and Tolas expressed concern over the amount of space available for parking. Gillis argued that they pay taxes for the City Hall parking lot, which shouldn’t be available for convenience to nearby tenants.

“They could be parking there all day long, which is concerning to me,” Gillis said. “When I paid for this out of my taxes, that parking lot was to supply community members with access to City Hall, not for free tenant parking.”

However, Vice Mayor Amy Perschbacher assured that the possibility of spaces running out is not likely to be an issue considering the number of spaces to tenants. If it becomes a problem in the future, Perschbacher said, the commission can easily readdress it.

The resolution passed in a 4-2 vote, with Gillis and Tolas being the dissenting votes.

Other business

• A budget amendment was approved for the Broadway Street closure in 2021. Based on discussion during the March 22 work session, the approved budget amendment will not exceed $52,000. These funds will be allocated towards improving appearances and providing activities, Ridley said. 
  • The city commission approved an amendment to the Neighborhood Enhancement Program. Staff can now contact four property owners from the previous grant with an offer to pay a 25 percent owner contribution instead of receiving a lien. Previous properties that received the grant are also no longer eligible to apply to the upcoming grant program.

The entire city commission meeting can be viewed on the city commission's Youtube.