Mario Camilletti breaks CMU single season walk record

16d3fd1c-3b73-4ab0-9852-70bdce7ef6c1
Sterling Heights junior Mario Camilletti barrels up a pitch against Miami (OH), Sunday, May 2.

In just his first season at Central Michigan, junior Mario Camilletti has written his name at the top of the record books. 

Camilletti is the new single season leader in walks, surpassing former Chippewa Zavier Warren's 2019 mark of 59. The Sterling Heights native drew the record breaking walk, number 60 on the year, in the second inning during the second game of Sunday's doubleheader. He tied the record with a walk to leadoff the game just an inning earlier. 

In his first year with the Chippewas, Camilletti established himself as a force at the top of the order. He's played in all 56 games, starting all but one. In that span, Camilletti has hit .328 with an on-base percentage of .510. 

"If there's a better leadoff hitter in the country, you're gonna have to work hard to find them," said coach Jordan Bischel. "He's just a tough out every time. He'll take his walks if you want to give them to him. ...But if you pitch him to hit, he's gonna do that." 

Camilletti came to CMU after three years at Oakland. He ranks fifth all-time in Golden Grizzlies history in walks with 92. As a freshman, Camilletti was named to the Horizon League's All-Freshman team. He was a second team All-Horizon choice in 2019.