Longtime CMU coach Dave Keilitz to be inducted into College Baseball Hall of Fame

Longtime Central Michigan baseball coach Dave Keilitz will be inducted into the National College Baseball Hall of Fame as part of its 2021 induction class. 

"It's a wonderful honor," Keilitz said in a press release. "Each hall of fame that I've been fortunate enough to be included in is special and each one is a little bit different. I'm humbled by it." 

Keilitz will be inducted as part of a virtual ceremony June 26. 

He spent 14 seasons as the Chippewas' head coach, compiling a 453-206-4 record from 1971-1984. During his tenure, Keilitz led his team to six NCAA Tournament appearances, including the program's first in 1971. He was named Regional Coach of the Year twice: 1977 and 1984. 

Keilitz was also named Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year four times: 1977, 1980, 1981 and 1984. 

As a player, Keilitz was the program's first NAIA first team All-American in 1964. He holds the program record for total bases in a game with 15 in a game against Ferris State in 1964. 

Upon finishing his coaching career in 1984, Keilitz transitioned to the Chippewas' athletic director role. He held that position for 10 years. During his time as athletic director, he served three years on NCAA Council and was the chair of the NCAA Baseball Committee. 

"Dave Keilitz is extremely deserving of this recognition and we are so proud to have him recieve this astounding honor," CMU athletic director Amy Folan said in the department's release. "He has done so much for CMU and college baseball and the current success by both our program and the sport can be directly tied to him." 

Keilitz was also the executive director of the American Baseball Coaches Association from 1994-2014. He was the president of the organization in 1982 and remains a member of the ABCA's board of directors. 

In 2018, CMU retired his number, 34, and renamed the field in his honor.