City commission discuss timeline for hiring new city manager

screen-shot-2021-06-29-at-8-07-47-pm
The Mount Pleasant city commission meet with Frank Walsh of Walsh Municipal Services in their June 28 meeting.

The Mount Pleasant city commission discussed criteria for hiring a new city manager in their June 28 meeting. Commissioner Lori Gillis was absent from the discussion.

Frank Walsh, CEO of Walsh Municipal Services, joined the commission meeting to lead the discussion. Walsh Municipal Services was hired to conduct the search for a new city manager.

The wording of the listing was discussed, as well as education and experience requirements.

Commissioners answered a survey prior to the meeting answering several questions about the Mount Pleasant community and what applicants should expect as the Mount Pleasant city manager. 

“We’re a smaller town but we have a lot of big things happening,” Mayer William Joseph said. “I think that's the collision of, obviously, the tribe, CMU, our location is a 1-27 hub. So we have a lot of things going on that a town our size may not have.”

The other commissioners shared similar thoughts on what makes Mount Pleasant attractive to potential city managers including the park system, public education, downtown, among others.

Attributes the commissioners agreed they would like to see in candidates were someone who will be active in the community, hands on, a good communicator, innovative, creative and approachable.

Commissioners also stated what they would like the new city manager to focus on in their first year: marijuana licensing, the effect of COVID-19 on businesses and the community and declining enrollment at CMU.

Walsh said he would have a draft of the employment ad on July 7 so the commission can narrow down candidates in a closed session during the July 9 meeting. Once candidates are selected, the commission will meet on August 21 for official interviews.

The employment ad will be sent out nationwide after a draft is approved by the commission.

Other business:

• The ordinance to amend Chapter 10.05 and Chapter 91 of the Code of Ordinances was discussed. A letter was read by City Manager Nancy Ridley from Amanda Tillotson, Executive Director of Humane Animal Treatment Society regarding the inclusion of HATS in the amendment without consultation. A motion was passed 5-2 to table the discussion so the wording of the amendment can be revisited.
  • Commissioner Lori Gillis announced her resignation from the appointments committee due to disagreements with the other two commissioners on the committee, Commissioner Mary Alsager and Vice Mayor Amy Perschbacher.