Chippewa baseball adds two power hitting transfers

mensbaseballgame-april7-6

Head Coach Jordan Bischel visits the mound against Ball State April 7 at Theunissen Stadium.

Central Michigan baseball has added two bats heading into the 2022 season. 

Illinois-Springfield first baseman Chris Monroe and Michigan State catcher Adam Proctor will be Chippewas. The news was first reported by 9&10 News. 

Monroe hit .343 last season with the Prairie Stars, hitting 12 home runs and driving in 51 runs. He's hit over .300 in each of the last three seasons and has hit 33 career home runs. 

Proctor hit .171 with the Spartans in 2021, smacking two home runs and driving in eight runs. In four seasons at MSU, Proctor is a career .183 hitter with 13 home runs. 

Both Monroe and Proctor are playing for the Traverse City Pit-Spitters this season, along with current Chippewa Mario Camilletti. Monroe and Proctor are leading the team in home runs, with Monroe in first (6) and Proctor second (4). 

Zach Heeke and Griffin Lockwood-Powell, CMU's mainstay starters at first base and catcher for the last four seasons, both graduated. Lockwood-Powell signed an undrafted free agent deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers. 

The Chippewas have returning depth at both first base and catcher. At first, freshman Danny Wuestenfeld and redshirt sophomore Kade Preston split time backing up Heeke. 

After Lockwood-Powell suffered a thumb injury that cost him a month of the season, freshmen Nick Dardas and Drew Stengren split time behind the plate.