Griffin Lockwood-Powell signs undrafted free agent deal with Los Angeles Dodgers

9f1c1b4b-e7ef-4076-be80-140d5013396c

Sioux Falls, S.D. senior Griffin Lockwood-Powell celebrates after hitting a home run against Michigan, Saturday, June 5 at Frank Eck Stadium, South Bend, Ind. 

Griffin Lockwood-Powell has a new home. 

Lockwood-Powell, who spent the last four seasons as a mainstay behind the plate for Central Michigan, signed an undrafted free agent deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers. The news was first reported by Kendall Rogers of D1Baseball. 

The Sioux Falls, South Dakota native played 156 games for the Chippewas and ranks in the program’s top 10 in career runs batted in.

As a freshman in 2018, Lockwood-Powell was named first team All-Mid-American Conference after ranking second on the team in batting average (.311) and home runs (4) to go with a .432 on-base percentage. 

His best season was his sophomore year as part of the 2019 team that won the MAC and upset Miami in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. That year, Lockwood-Powell was named ABCA/Rawlings First Team All-Region. He hammered 11 home runs, drove in a program single-season record 74 runs and was named the most valuable player of the MAC Tournament after hitting a home run and driving in six runs during the three-game stretch. 

Lockwood-Powell hit .297 in 17 games during the 2020 season before it was shut down. He went undrafted in the five-round 2020 MLB Draft and turned down contracts from organizations as an undrafted free agent to return for the 2021 season. 

In his fourth season, Lockwood-Powell was bit by the injury bug as a broken thumb cost him a month of the season. Upon returning from his injury, Lockwood-Powell struggled in his first two series before finding a groove late. 

In the NCAA Tournament, Lockwood-Powell reminded many why he can be such an asset with his power. He went 6-for-16 with two home runs, and three RBI. 

He ended his career with 19 home runs and 138 RBI while maintaining a .313 batting average. 

Coming out of high school, Lockwood-Powell was the No. 3 prospect in South Dakota and a top 1,000 prospect nationally per Perfect Game. He led his high school, Sioux Falls Lincoln, to the state semifinals as a junior and a state championship as a sophomore. 

Lockwood-Powell joins the Dodgers organization, which already boasts a former Chippewa Zach McKinstry. The 2016 grad was a 33rd round pick by the Dodgers after graduating and is currently a member of their major league roster.