MPFD responds to fire at local restaurant

The front of Kuji Hibachi and Sushi at 5768 E. Pickard Road, does not appear to have damage from the fire that occurred on the morning of Saturday, July 3.

A fire broke out at Kuji Hibachi and Sushi on Pickard Road on Saturday. The fire started outside, in the back of the building. It burned into a wall and and spread into the attic. 

There was moderate smoke damage and light structural damage to the roof and rear corner of the building. The restaurant was open at the time but was able to evacuate all staff and customers safely. 

The fire was contained to a storage area and the back of the building. The food preparation area was not affected which means Kuji will be able to reopen.

The Mount Pleasant Fire Department arrived at the scene at 8:25 p.m. and finished processing at 10:30, according to assistant fire chief Doug Lobsinger. The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.

Also at the scene was MMR, Shepherd Tri-Township Fire Department, and the Saginaw Chippewa Tribal Fire Department.

This story will be updated as more information is made available.

The back of Kuji Hibachi and Sushi at 5768 E. Pickard Road, has damage that may have been caused by the fire on Saturday, July 3.

Photo by Tess Ware

Photo by Tess Ware

Photo by Tess Ware