Soccer drops home opener to MSU

e2de13c9-91c9-4b54-8a90-70450ee453b3
Ada senior Natalie Belsito gets nudged off the ball against EMU at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex, Thursday, April 1.

The only thing that was more intense than the late-August heat at CMU’s soccer complex was the physicality in the Chippewas 1-0 loss to Michigan State on Thursday.

CMU falls to 0-2. The Spartans are now 3-0.

“We have a lot of grit, and even though we went one (goal) down we still fought back, “ said head coach Jeremy Groves. “I think that’s a really good sign, especially when we had seven to eight sophomores/freshmen on the field.”

How it happened

Both teams applied tremendous neutral zone pressure, leaving no breathing room for either offense. The Chippewas drew a corner kick near the 10 minute mark and registered the game's first shot on goal, but failed to cross the goal line.

The Spartans landed their first corner opportunity at the 17 minute mark, but the kick landed on top of the CMU net instead of in it. MSU earned its lone shot on net moments later.

After several close scoring chances for the Chippewas, MSU’s Danielle Stephan’s wide-open look sailed just north of the net to keep the score even. Spartan Samantha Skalarski would earn a yellow card at 40:53.

An early neutral zone turnover by the Chippewas led to MSU’s Ava Cook beating CMU goalkeeper on the left side of the net for a 1-0 Spartan lead 4:57 into the second half.

Despite more second half neutral zone issues the Chippewas had multiple opportunities to force extra time in the final 10 minutes. An MSU deflection sailed out of play near the Spartan net, giving CMU a corner opportunity with less than 30 seconds to play. Sophomore Megan Logue’s potential game-tying goal was stopped by MSU defender Samantha Sklarski with 10 seconds remaining to seal CMU’s second loss of the year.

Key Performers

Logue, senior Amanda Britain, and sophomore Elizabeth Chlystun each earned a shot on net for CMU. 

Key Stats

The Chippewas won the shot on goal battle 3-2. MSU claimed the shot total 16-12 and corner kick battle 4-2.

What’s next

CMU travels to Ann Arbor for a showdown with Michigan at 1 p.m. Sunday and return home to face Morehead State at 6 p.m. Friday, Sep. 3.