CRIME LOG: CMUPD finds stolen property valued over $9,000

The following incidents were among those handled by Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan University Police Department from Sept. 12 to Sept. 19.

Sept. 12

MMPD responded to gunshots at 2 a.m. on Kinney St. The Mount Pleasant Police Department released the names of two injured Sept. 13. The situation is still being investigated. 

Sept. 14

City police were called to assist in a bond violation at 9:24 a.m. on West Campus Drive. A 30-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man were found trespassing at an apartment. MMPD also found drug materials with cocaine residue. The man and woman were arrested for bond violation, trespassing and drug possession. They were lodged in Isabella County Jail.

A 45-year-old woman was arrested for domestic violence by city police at 10:26 p.m. on E. Broomfield St. A neighbor called law enforcement after hearing yelling. The woman's partner, a 45-year-old man, had a video on his phone of her slapping him in the face. She was lodged in Isabella County Jail.

Sept. 15

A 20-year-old woman reported to CMUPD that $60 was stolen from her car in Lot 10. There were no signs of forced entry and it appeared the car was left unlocked. There are currently no leads. 

Sept. 16

MPPD pulled over a white pickup truck after it stopped in the middle of the road and almost hit a railroad crossing arm at 12:45 a.m. on E. Broomfield St. The 34-year-old man told officers he had been drinking at the Cabin Bar that night. His blood alcohol content level was 0.13.

City Police and Child Protective Services were called to investigate a child abuse complaint at 12:18 p.m. on Sweeney St. A 44-year-old mother was selling her child's medication. The child was also hit in the face. The mother said she hit the child because they told someone she was selling the medicine. The child has been placed with another family member. The situation is now being handled by CPS and the prosecuting attorney's office. 

MPPD officers pulled over a 21-year-old woman at 11:55 p.m. by S Main Street and E Maple Street after she was unable to stay in her lane. The woman told officers she had been drinking. Her blood alcohol content level was 0.15. Her car was also towed. 

Sept. 17

City police officers were called at 2:20 a.m. to East Broadway Street and South Crapo Street for a possible weapons complaint. Two men in their early twenties were seen entering a taxi and were later dropped off at another car. Officers pulled them over after they were unable to stay in their lane. The 21-year-old had a blood alcohol content level of 0.08. MMPD officers found two pistols registered to the man in the car. Both men were arrested for concealed carry violations. 

A 43-year-old mother reported to MPPD that her middle school-aged daughter was harassed at 11:48 a.m. on South Bradley Street. Her daughter was being bullied online and pushed in the hallways. She had also been punched and knocked to the ground. The situation has been handed to probate court for review.

Sept. 19

CMUPD responded to a harassment complaint on W. Bellows St. An 18-year-old woman told officers she saw her ex-boyfriend, 18, in a residence hall even though he was not a resident. He was gone by the time officers arrived. The employees who swiped him in were advised not to let in people they do not know. 

CMUPD was called to the Marriot Hotel on campus for a domestic assault. Officers separated a 19-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman after he pinned her down. The situation is being handled by the prosecutor's office. 

A 19-year-old woman reported a violin, a pair of AirPods, an iPad, and an Apple Pencil stolen to CMUPD on Sept. 7. The property was valued at over $9,000. Using security camera footage, a man was identified and a warrant was put out for his arrest. Officers found the man in Kent County with the 19-year-old's property among other stolen objects from Mount Pleasant and Kent County. CMUPD is in the process of returning the stolen items to the correct owners.