Interim OCRIE executive director appointed to position permanently

imr-0836

Title IX and Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity (OCRIE) Deputy Director Mary Martinez informs students of resources on campus for victims of sexual assault March 20, 2019, in the Bovee University Center Lake Huron Room. The event discussing sexual misconduct, prevention, and reporting options was hosted by OCRIE.

After two years as the interim, Mary Martinez was appointed the executive director of the Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity.

Her permanent position became effective on Aug. 30, replacing Katherine Lasher who left the position in June 2019.

As the OCRIE executive director, Martinez's role is to also serve as Central Michigan University's affirmative action and equal opportunity officer and Title IX coordinator. 

Title IX is a federal civil rights law which protects against sex discrimination in education settings.

Before her time as interim executive director, Martinez started at CMU in 2016 as a Title IX investigator. She worked her way up to OCRIE deputy director and deputy Title IX coordinator. 

She told University Communications that  CMU's commitment to inclusivity and diversity led her to seek the permanent position. 

"The university has always been a leader in addressing harassment, discrimination and sexual misconduct," she told University Communications. "I am humbled and thrilled to continue providing leadership in CMU's affirmative action efforts and its civil rights and Title IX areas."

As she permanently holds the executive director position, Martinez told University Communications she plans to continue to strengthen relationships with offices throughout CMU.