Soccer falls in first MAC home game

maria-kaschalk2

Senior defenseman Maria Kaschalkmaneuvers the ball past a sliding Michigan State defender on Thursday, Aug. 26 in the CMU Soccer Complex.

One goal wasn’t enough as Central Michigan Soccer drops their second consecutive Mid-American Conference game in a 2-1 loss to Ball State on Sunday at CMU's Soccer Complex.

CMU (3-5, 0-2 MAC)) remains winless in the MAC as Ball State (3-4-1, 1-0-1) earned its first MAC win of the season.

How it happened

CMU started the game with pace on the offensive end allowing a wide-open strike for redshirt freshman Gaelle Wells off a precise pass from sophomore Jaelyn Dobrowolski for a 1-0 lead. Ball State responded quickly with goal from senior Chelcy Ralph. The Chippewas were on defensive end for a majority of the first 45 minutes, only getting a few goal opportunities with a score of 1-1.

The Cardinals pulled ahead within the first nine minutes of the second half with a header goal from Grace Alsop off a corner kick for a 2-1 road team lead. For the first 25 minutes of the second half the Cardinals defense shut down the Chippewas offense as they struggled to get the ball past midfield. Past that point both teams had back and forth offensive possessions. Unfortunately, the Chippewas were unable to execute on offensive as they had zero shots in the entire second half.

Key Stats

Ball State had 14 shots and seven on goal compared to CMU’s three shots and one on goal.

Ball State had six corners’ opportunities while CMU had one.

There were only 10 total fouls four on CMU and six on Ball State.

Key Performers

Ball State’s Ralph had one goal off of two shots.

Ball State’s Alsop had one goal on one shot.

CMU’s Wells had one goal on one shot.

Up Next

The Chippewas are set to play their fourth home game of the season against Northern Illinois at 7 p.m. on Thursday at the CMU Soccer/Lacrosse Complex in Mt. Pleasant, MI.

Scoring Summary

1st (12:53) CMU (1-0) Gaelle Wells (Dobrowolski)

1st (19:27) Ball State (1-1) Chelcy Ralph (Dombrowski)

2nd (54:13) Ball State (1-2) Grace Alsop (Smith)