Chippewa OL Motowski suffers career-ending back injury

dsc-0107-40

Freshman offensive line Danny Motowski celebrates sophomore wide receiver Kalil Pimpleton's touchdown for the Chippewas at Kelly Shorts stadium on Thursday, August 29.

Danny Motowski has played his last snap as a Central Michigan Chippewa. 

Motowski's football career is over after suffering a back injury. Head coach Jim McElwain hinted at the news, saying Motowski was "probably done for good," during his weekly press conference. Lou Motowski, Danny's father, confirmed the news in a Twitter thread Saturday. 

"The game of football was good to Danny," Lou tweeted. "He was fortunate to play for 3 great college and high school coaches. He played in front of thousands & on big stages. Football helped turn a boy into a man. Unfortunately, Danny has played his last snap & to his last whistle (back injury)"

Motowski was an impact player from his first game as a Chippewa in 2019. As a true freshman, he played in all 14 games and started the final two after an injury to Oge Udeogu. Last season, Motowski started four of the six games, missing two due to injury. 

Despite the injury, he was named honorable mention All-Mid-American Conference by Pro Football Focus in 2020. Motowski started the 2021 season opener against Missouri but hasn't played since while dealing with the injury.

The Macomb native played his high school football at Warren De La Salle High School and won two state championships. He was named first team all-state for his performance and was rated as a three-star prospect by 247Sports Composite.