City manager celebrates her final city commission meeting

city-commission-10-25

Mount Pleasant City Commission Zoom meeting on Oct. 25, 2021.

Commissioners commemorated retiring City Manager Nancy Ridley’s final meeting on Oct. 25.

“She’s a professional that we all rely on, as well as a friend and a mentor,” Mayor Will Joseph said. “I wish you the best as you go forward and I hope to see you around town.”

Aaron Desentz, Mount Pleasant’s new city manager, was in attendance, marking his first commission meeting with the city.

Mount Pleasant City Commission also approved the budget for an ice rink coming to Mount Pleasant this winter.

Commissioner Petro Tolas was absent from the meeting.

City Manager Sendoff

Emotions were high as Ridley gave a final farewell to the commission after 24 years of service in the Mount Pleasant city government. Eight of these years were spent as the city manager.

“I’ll always value the relationships I’ve made in this position and the positive outcomes of these relationships,” Ridley said. “Some of my fondest memories are when we were in crisis mode and working at our best to help the community.”

Commissioners shared kind words with Ridley, thanking her for years of hard work and dedication. 

Ridley helped guide Mount Pleasant through many difficult times, Joseph said. She offered support through the Great Recession, the flood of 2017, this year's ransomware attack and the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We’ve achieved great things because of you and I thank you for leading our staff and guiding the commission to do the best possible,” Commissioner Lori Gillis said. “I want to thank you as a commissioner and a friend.”

Approved Ice Rink

Commissioners discussed the budget for a proposed outdoor ice rink. The temporary rink would be installed at one of the softball fields in Island Park.

This project would require $25,400 from the Unassigned Fund Balance, Ridley said. This cost is expected to cover the purchase and installation of the rink. It will also account for overtime of staff working the rink at night to prepare it for the following day. 

“The rink will be unsupervised and will be for recreational skating only,” Ridley said. “It will be installed when the weather is appropriate.”

Commissioners expressed support for the idea. Joseph mentioned the possibility of a rink closer to the downtown in the future.

“It will be free for anyone that wants to skate and good for community members both young and old,” Gillis said. “I hope this gets enough use that it will become a yearly winter tradition.”

The budget recommendation passed 6-0.

The entire city commission meeting can be viewed on the city commission’s Youtube.