Field hockey falls to Miami (Ohio) in overtime heartbreaker

lrm-export-252530041308885-20191018-182304047

Central Michigan midfielder Alice O'Hagan assists midfielder Georgina Minta on a goal Oct. 18 at Cristy Freese Stadium.

With less than 20 seconds left in the game junior midfielder Alice O’Hagan finding the back of the net was all it took to send the game into overtime on Friday against Miami (Ohio).  

Despite the quick goal to send the game into overtime, Central Michigan field hockey couldn’t find the net as quick and stop Miami from scoring to end the game 3-2.

CMU now falls to 3-8 overall and 1-3 in the Mid-American Conference. The Miami RedHawks are now 7-8 overall and 4-0 in conference.  

“We haven't played overtime, yet this season and you could tell Miami was prepared to play overtime,” head coach Catherine Ostoich. “It was a great learning experience for us and taking the top ranked team in our conference who hasn't lost to anyone into overtime was pretty awesome.”

How it happened

CMU came out strong in the first half with strong defense. The Chippewas scored in the second quarter behind BobbieMarie Parker’s second goal of the year, making it 1-0. After the half Miami started up the offense scoring two times in the second half.

With less than a minute to play and the clock slowly ticking, the Chippewas went in with an open net in hopes to have all hands on deck to score one last time. CMU had one last push to tie the game. O’Hagan took a shot through the opponent’s goalkeeper's leg to tie the game 2-2 to force overtime.

With already being down numbers in overtime and then having two yellow cards called against the Chippewas in what would be the last few minutes, Redhawks junior midfielder Luli Rosso took that to her advantage and scored the winning goal for Miami 3-2.

Key Performers

Parker and O’Hagan both had goals for the Chippewas.

Sophomore goalkeeper Katie Maxim had 15 saves.

What’s Next

After a long road trip of games, the Chippewas are back at home for a non-conference game against Iowa at noon on Sunday.