Sticking Together: Logue twins reflect on sibling bond on and off the pitch

577aceff-3b32-4121-857a-51b164a3e7f2

Rachel and Megan Logue pose on the soccer field before practice, Wednesday, Oct. 6.

Twins are hard to find in the world of sports. Finding a pair on the same team is even harder.

The New England Patriots had Devin and Jason McCourty. The Vancouver Canucks had Henrik and Daniel Sedin.

Central Michigan women's soccer has Megan and Rachel Logue.

The duo hail from Oak Hills, CA and are the youngest of five. They grew up in a household of soccer players, fans and coaches. Naturally, the sisters carry on the trend. 

“We’ve been kicking a soccer ball before we could even walk,” Megan said.

Both Megan and Rachel play as center back defenders for the Chippewas and possess never-quit attitudes.

“They’re really hard working, down to earth people and they're tough on the field,” head coach Jeremy Groves said. “They’ll lay themselves in front of shots, get hit anywhere and bounce right back up.”

Defense hasn’t always been their go-to position. 

During their first two years at Serrano High School in Phelan, CA, they were better known for their offensive prowess. Both sisters earned All-MRL first team honors during their freshman and sophomore seasons. Going into their junior year, they decided to continue their playing careers by joining the L.A. Surf Soccer Club. Joining the developmental academy meant they could no longer play high school soccer. 

“We played against better competition, but high school is the fun experiences with all your friends, go out on the field, have fun and not be as serious,” Rachel said.

When deciding on where to play college soccer the duo ruled out all schools in California. Oak Hills is about an hour outside of Los Angeles in a hot and dry desert climate. Most Michiganders gasp after learning the duo willingly traded California weather for Michigan's. 

“We don’t like the hot weather, at all. We love the snow, (so) we wanted to go somewhere that’s colder,” Megan said. “It’s different than a lot of people’s opinions. People don’t expect it.”

“We both wanted to play a high level of soccer too and (CMU) is a good fit,” Rachel added. 

People often assume twins have a unique, almost telepathic bond. The Logue sisters have stuck together not only on the soccer field, but in their day-to-day lives too. 

“There’s an added level of comfort," Rachel said. "I know if I step to the ball, she’s going to have my back. I can count on her trust on and off the field. We have a strong chemistry together.”

The chemistry doesn’t stop with them. With little roster turnover from last years' squad, CMU has been able to grow closer through team building activities and developing a strong level of comfort with one another. The duo has burst out of their shells and become leaders on the team. 

“Last year they maybe said 10 words total but they’ve really started to come out of themselves this semester, which is awesome,” Groves said. “They’re fantastic young women.”

While collegiate soccer is extremely important to the twins, it’s not the only reason they’re here.

Megan is enrolled in CMU's dietetics program. She is vegan with a strong interest in the food industry, diets and food consumption. Rachel is currently undecided, but is leaning toward sociology with a focus on criminal justice or recreation. 

College athletes have a regimented schedule, but when there’s free time, the twins get to indulge in their hobbies and remain active.

Megan is learning how to play the guitar. Rachel enjoys outdoor activities like hiking, bonfires and beach activities.

No matter where Megan and Rachel end up when their days as Chippewas conclude, they will always have each other. 

“We’ve always connected deeper because we’ve been doing it for 19 years, and we’re able to communicate really well with each other," Megan said. “You always have a person with you. There’s no worry about doing things alone.”