CMU Wrestling earns two first-place finishes in Journeyman Classic

lovett-4-of-4

Miami redshirt senior Johnny Lovett wrestles his Northern Illinois opponent on Jan. 17, 2021.

Eighteen teams threw down at the Journeymen Collegiate Classic in Manheim, Pa. on Sunday , including Central Michigan’s wrestling squad that managed to bring home two second place finishes and two first place finishes. 

How It Happened 

The Chippewas were represented by fourteen wrestlers in their respected weight class. Four of them made the final. 

Sophomore Johnny Lovett, wrestling in the 157-pound weight class' A pool bracket, opened with a 4-1-win over Penn’s Doug Zapf. His next match ended in a medical forfeit over Josh Humphrey from Leigh. To claim his title, Lovett defeated Oregon State’s Hunter Willits 4-2. 

Graduate student Dresden Simon also wrestling in the A pool bracket in the 141-pound weight class. He dominated his opening match with a 15-3 major decision over Army’s Julian Sanchez. His reign didn’t stop there, with another big win over Oregon State's Grant Willits. To finish out his day and claim the title, Simon took down Josh Mason of Bloomberg 10-4. 

Junior Corbyn Munson wrestled in the A pool in this 149-pound weight class. He faced off against Leigh’s Manzona Bryant, coming up victorious with a 5-4 victory. His next opponent, Corey Crooks of Oregon State who is ranked 24th nationally, was downed 8-5. He fell to No. 19 P.J Ogunsanya of Army in the title match 6-3 to finish second. 

“It’s good for Corbin’s confidence, competing and winning against someone that’s nationally ranked,” said head coach Tom Borrelli.  

Wrestling at 285 pounds, graduate student Matthew Stencel finished 1-1. He opened with a pin in 2:30 against Oregon State’s Gary Traub. Stencel would fall in the finals via a 3-1 decision to Jordan Wood of Leigh to finish second. 

Ten other Chippewas took the mat in their respected pools and weight class. 

Senior Brock Bergelin finished 2-1. He defeated Harvards Diego Sotelo, then fell to Carter Bailey but closed out with a 10-3 win over Bloomsburg Shawn Orem. 

Mason Breece, Drew Marten, Cade Dallwitz, Sean Spidle, and tracy Hubbard each finished 2-1 in their respected weight classes. 

What’s Next

The Chippewas will throw down again on Friday, Dec. 3rd, with a time to be determined, in Mount Pleasant against Rider.