Counseling center working to meet student demand

care-2

The university counseling center is located in room 102 in Foust Hall. [CM Life photo | file]

The Central Michigan University Counseling Center is working hard to meet student demand for individual counseling services. 

Executive Director of Counseling Services, Melissa Hutchinson, said the counseling center's most difficult issue is meeting that demand. 

Currently, the wait for individual counseling appointments is 2-3 weeks due to the counseling center having more students seeking services with the same amount of resources as previous years. 

“The pandemic has been hard,” Hutchinson said. “There has been so much heartache, loss, hardship, polarization, and uncertainty. Concerns that may have previously been manageable are now overwhelming.” 

In response, the counseling center is promoting other resources to students while they wait for individual appointments. Students are encouraged to use other services like group therapy, tele-mental health,  Let’s Talk, the crisis appointments and the 24/7 services listed on the counseling center’s website. 

Hutchinson recommends students to utilize these other alternatives until the center has the resources to meet the demand, instead of waiting for individual counseling and letting things pile-up. 

“Chronic stress and prolonged trauma can lead to more significant mental health concerns when left unattended to,” Hutchinson said. 

She also said they have filled two positions left vacant by departing counselors to further meet the demand of students. She said they are now working to get staff integrated to start helping students.

“We know that concerns can add up quickly for students because their courses don't pause while they tend their mental health,” Hutchinson said. “We are working very hard to get students an appointment as quickly as possible.”