Crime Log: Wallet stolen from unlocked car

screen-shot-2021-03-11-at-3-17-32-pm
An Isabella County Sheriff police cruiser sits parked outside the Isabella County Jail at 207 Court St.

The following incidents were among those handled by Mount Pleasant Police Department and Central Michigan University Police Department from Oct. 24 to Oct. 30.

Oct. 24

CMUPD officers assisted MPPD at 2:38 a.m. on E. Broomfield Road with pursuing a car. Officers canceled the pursuit, but then used surrounding surveillance cameras to identify the driver. The situation was handled by MPPD.

MPPD was called at 1:24 p.m. to E. Preston Street for theft from a car. A 62-year-old man reported that his car was left unlocked and his daughter-in-law, 32, had her wallet stolen. Surveillance video showed an unknown man entering the car and taking the wallet. The woman's credit card was used multiple times at Walmart and around the Mount Pleasant Area. The estimated money taken is $592.

Oct. 25

CMUPD was called for a harassment complaint at 10:30 p.m. in Thorpe Hall. A 20-year-old woman found obscenities written on the whiteboard hung on her door. Later, she found more obscenities written on her car in Lot 45. It looked like someone used their fingers to smudge the words on her car. CMUPD is looking at surveillance video to find the person responsible.

MPPD officers were called at 7:32 p.m. to Tallgrass Apartments for a possible domestic dispute. Police were met at the door by a 31-year-old woman with a swollen lip. She pointed officers toward the bedroom where a 32-year-old man was hiding in the closet. When officers asked the man how the woman got a swollen lip he stated he accidentally bumped her with his elbow. The woman told officers the man had gotten into a fight at the store and started yelling at her when he returned. When she attempted to call the police, the man took her phone and ended the call. He then pushed her toward the laundry room. She fell and he slapped her when she wouldn't get back up. He was arrested and lodged in Isabella County Jail.

Oct. 28

At 12:52 a.m. on W. Preston Street, an MPPD officer pulled over a 22-year-old man. The man was unable to stay in his lane of traffic and kept driving on the fog line. The man stated he had three beers earlier that night. He failed a sobriety test and had a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of 0.12. He was lodged in Isabella County Jail.

Oct. 29

MPPD officers were called at 12:46 a.m. to E. Andre Street for a possible domestic dispute. A 24-year-old man told officers he had an argument with his 41-year-old boyfriend that turned physical. The 41-year-old punched the 24-year-old in the face, causing him to fall to the ground. The 24-year-old stated they then fought on the ground. When officers arrived, the 24-year-old's nose was bleeding. He also had blood on his face and hands from holding his nose. He declined medical treatment. The 41-year-old did not speak to the officers. He was arrested for domestic violence and lodged in Isabella County Jail.

Oct. 31

CMUPD was called at 2:20 a.m. to Washington Street because someone was shooting paintballs out of a car. Surveillance footage was used to identify three 18-year-old men and a 19-year-old man involved in the situation. The paintball gun was taken by police. No one who was shot with the paintball gun has come forward. The situation was handed to Student Conduct.

CMUPD assisted the Sheriff's Department at 5:56 a.m. at Jamestown Apartments for weapons extraction. The owner of the weapons was gone by the time police arrived. The situation was further handled by the Sheriff's Department.