Office of Global Engagement, students prepare for spring study abroad

Senior April Johnson stands on Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh, Scotland while studying abroad in Ormskirk, England in spring 2020.

Photo courtesy of April Johnson.

Study Abroad is an opportunity for personal growth and exploration. However, for the past two years, students have been unable to travel for their education due to COVID-19. 

Those who went out of the country to study in spring 2020 had to quickly decide how to get back home after many countries began shutting down their borders.  

Houghton Lake senior April Johnson was studying in Ormskirk, England last spring but was sent home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"At first it was really overwhelming and really confusing," Johnson said. "Then I went home and tried to be really grateful for the experience and that I got to go. but after a little while, I eventually had to accept that it was really hard to go home and I really didn't want to, so definitely some mixed emotions."

Now, as countries begin to reopen their borders, the Office of Global Engagement is scheduling students to travel in the spring semester. 

There are more than 30 students who have signed up for a program. Those who want to join have to have a valid passport, be in good standing with the university and complete a study abroad application.

New to this year, students may only travel to countries that do not have a Level 4 travel warning by the CDC. As of Nov. 8, those countries are Germany, France, Spain, Italy, the Czech Republic, South Korea and Ecuador. 

Before the pandemic, CMU students could study in about 50 different countries.

Despite the restrictions, students are excited for the opportunity to see the world.

For some, studying abroad is a requirement for their degree. Others do it to learn or experience life outside the U.S. DeWitt sophomore Kaleb Wever plans to go to Pau in the South of France in order to fulfill a requirement for his French and economics double major. 

“I have always had the desire to travel pretty much anywhere,” Wever said. “I think living in a totally different culture, language and way of life will be challenging at times, but I think it will be an experience where I will learn a lot and have a lot of good, lifelong memories.”

Scholarships are still available to help pay for programs such as the Gilman Scholarship, which is awarded to those who demonstrate financial need.

Virtual internships are still available for those who can't travel, have little flexibility in their schedule or have financial restrictions. Students can work remotely with companies or non-governmental organizations in other countries. 

“Virtual internships provide relevant experience in a particular field and across cultures,” Schubert said. “Students can develop important interpersonal and professional skills that many employers are specifically looking for in candidates."

The Office the Global Engagement is hosting a Passport Fair from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Nov. 9 in the UC room 221 (Terrance Room A). 

County representatives will be there to help fill out applications for a U.S. passport. The application can be found on the office's website.

“Study abroad is an incredibly transformative educational and personal experience and I am thankful that we can help our students accomplish their goals,” Schubert said.