'Weekly Native Land Acknowledgment' introduced at SGA meeting

Senior Ayebah Wilson closes a presentation about Native American Heritage Month by saying "thank you" in the Ojibwa and Navajo language.

A land acknowledgement was introduced at an SGA meeting on Nov. 15 to honor the native land Central Michigan University resides on. 

“I wanted to have something for us in student government that actually acknowledged the fact that we exist,” said Ayebah Wilson, the indigenous senior who wrote the acknowledgement.

SGA intends to read the acknowledgement at the beginning of all of their weekly Monday meetings.

“I know, oftentimes, it can feel very performative: like they're just reading a statement, but I feel like it kind of works in the beginning as a call to action of working to acknowledge that more,” Wilson said. “By taking that step, it can hopefully allow for a better relationship with NAISO (the North American Indigenous Student Organization), NAP (Native American Programs), and even just the local tribe.”

Wilson also gave a presentation to the diversity committee at the meeting to share culture and celebrate Native American Heritage Month.

Though November should be a time for honoring native people, Wilson said this time is particularly stressful. 

After having to deal with the offensive mascots of football season, culturally appropriated halloween costumes and people who celebrate Columbus day instead of Indigenous peoples day, Wilson encourages her fellow students to educate themselves in order to properly support native people during this time.

“We're having to put all this work into creating events and also having to educate people on Native American Heritage Month, and then, rounding it out with Thanksgiving coming up. It's a very tiring time," Wilson said. "So it's not always the responsibility of your classmate or your friend to educate you on Native people."

Other news

On Nov. 18, Chartwells will be hosting a Thanksgiving event to say thank you to students and staff from 2-4 p.m. across from the Bovee University Center. The event will feature a Michigan inspired food cook-off, food trucks and live music from Jedi Mind Trip. 

The Outreach and Special Event Committee is hosting a Thanksgiving event this Saturday to provide dinner to students who can’t make it home for the holiday. Location to come. 

Central Votes conducted a survey to gather student opinions about the nighttime check-in policy, which prevents students from using side doors of their resident halls after 10 p.m. They are currently working with the Resident Housing Association to change the policy next semester in order to better accommodate students living on-campus.