Project Wanderheart to host 5K Turkey Trot on Nov. 20

5k-flyer-2

In anticipation of Thanksgiving, the Wanderheart Project is working to host a 5K Turkey Trot/Fall Fest Fundraiser to raise money for children born with Congenital Heart Defects.

The event will take place at 9 a.m. Nov. 20 at Island Park. Race registration starts at 8:30 a.m.

The deadline for registration deadline is November 17. The cost for kids is free, registration with a sticker is $15, registration with a t-shirt is $30 and registration with a hoodie is $60.

"This event, created by couple CMU alumni and a CMU professor, is a great way for CMU students and faculty to engage with their community and to support a good cause," a press release from the company said.

The Wanderheart Project was started in 2015 by CMU student Dylan Banagis and faculty member Jordan Bruursema in order to encourage people to engage more with the outdoors. 

The next adventure for the company is  called "Expedition Wanderheart." 

"Their plan is to renovate a school bus to take CMU alum Jackson Graham and his wife Ryan around the country to spread their mission and continue to raise awareness and money for CHD on a much larger scale," the press release said. "They hope this 5K is a big step in galvanizing support of the local Mount Pleasant and CMU community to make their vision a reality. 

"At the same time, it is an awesome opportunity for CMU students, staff, and their families to get outside, enjoy some donuts and hot cocoa, and to have fun supporting local businesses and a couple former CMU students' awesome cause."