CMU wrestling finishes 1-2 at Journeyman Collegiate Duals

wrestling-1-of-6

Lapeer redshirt senior Matt Stencel wrestles his Northern Illinois opponent on Jan. 17, 2021 in the McGuirk Arena.  

Two losses, one win and a fifth place finish in their six-team pool was the outcome for Central Michigan wrestling at the Journeyman Collegiate Duals at Northwest Florida State College. 

The Chippewas fall to 2-2 on the season. 

Their first loss came to 17th ranked Lehigh 25 to 6 and the second one to number one Iowa over a decision 44 to 0. 

Sophomore Ja’Kerion Merritt competed in his first dual meet wrestling in the 133 weight class and defeated his opponent Sheldon Seymour 3-2 to give the Chippewas one of two wins against Leigh. 

Junior Corbyn Munson, competing in the 149 weight class, came from behind defeating No. 30 Manzona Bryant 12- 9 after being down 6-0. 

The Chippewas were no match for the number one ranked Hawkeyes with two number one ranked players (Spencer Lee at 125 and Alex Marinelli at165). 

Five of the ten matches were called by decision, one by technical fall and one, graduate senior Matt Stencel's, by injury. Stencel did not participate in the Chippewas' Tuesday match against Binghamton.

Graduate Dresden Simon fell to Iowa’s Jayden Eierman by a one point decision and Leigh’s Connor McGongale. Simon suffered his first two losses falling to 5-2 on the season. 

The Chippewas bounced back on Tuesday, coming out with a 26 to sixteen win over Binghamton. Senior Brock Breglin (133) opened the day for the Chippewa earning a forfeit win. 

Simon bounced back from his pair of losses with a 5-2 to extend the Chippewas lead 14-0. Sophomore Johnny Lovett defeated his opponent through injury default at 3:52 to give the Chippewas a solid 23-0 lead. 

Binghamton would get on the board with a major decision for wrestler Casella against Tracy Hubbard to make the score 23-4. Senior Bret Fedewa's victory wrestling in the 174 weight class gave the Chippewas a comfortable 26-4 lead.

Binghamton would earn twelve more points in the match, with CMU walking away winners by a margin of 26-16.

CMU's next competition is the prestigious Midlands Championships in Hoffman Estates, Ill. Dec. 29-30.