Safety Devonni Reed transferring from CMU

football-11-3-2021-3

Detroit junior defensive back Devonni Reed reads the Western Michigan offense Wednesday, Nov. 3 at Waldo Stadium. 

Central Michigan will miss a consistent piece in its secondary heading into the 2022 season. 

Junior safety Devonni Reed announced via Twitter Monday that he is entering the transfer portal. He's a graduate of CMU, meaning he will have immediate eligibility at his new location as a grad transfer. 

The Detroit native had four productive seasons as a Chippewa, playing a total of 43 games. Reed has a fifth year available because of the waiver granted to all fall student-athletes as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Since making his decision public, Reed has announced offers from Colorado, South Carolina and Texas.

As a redshirt freshman, Reed returned a fumble for a touchdown in his first active game at Kentucky. He finished the year with 97 total tackles, but CMU finished the season 1-11 as a team. This led to the firing of then-head coach John Bonamego and subsequent hiring of Jim McElwain. 

Reed was rock-solid in the following three years, playing 13 games in 2019, all six in a shortened 2020 season and 12 in 2021. He finishes his Chippewa career with 287 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, three interceptions and 14 passes defensed. 

He was a two-time All-Mid-American Conference honoree, earning third-team honors in 2020 and second-team honors in 2021. 

With Reed out, CMU will turn to the likes of redshirt freshman Trey Jones and true freshman Caleb Spann to help fill the void. The Chippewas will be hit hard in the offseason by departures at safety, as they lose Alonzo McCoy and Gage Kreski to graduation along with Reed's transfer. 

As a recruit, Reed was a three-star prospect out of Belleville High School.

Editor's note: Reed announced his decision to transfer to South Carolina Jan. 10.