CMU softball leans on each other after bus crash

softball-4-24-3
Coach McCall Salmon wears a teal ribbon on her vest in support of sexual assault awareness month April 24 in Margo Jonker Stadium.

While coming back from McAlister’s Deli in Coastal Carolina, the Central Michigan softball team found themselves having to come together and lean on each other after their bus crashed on the side of the road.

“It was an extremely traumatic event for all of us and we’ve really been leaning on each other to get through it,” said head coach McCall Salmon.

After the bus driver fell unconscious the Chippewas bus started going into the side of the road for 250 yards, luckily missing telephone poles, trees, and signs. With the side of the road being in sandy-like condition and the bus drivers foot coming off the gas, the bus was able to come to a stop. 

Assistant coach Brittini Merchant was able to make her way to the front and grab the wheel, steering them out of danger. According to a social media post, the Chippewas dealt with minor injuries throughout the team as a result of the crash. 

With the help of some of the teams’ parents, the team was able to get back to the hotel safely. Salmon said her team was very shook and there was lots of emotion her main focus was to get them back to the hotel, get them to bed and be comfortable trying to sleep. 

The next day they talked through how they had a new bus and a new driver. They took their first trip to get lunch to get everyone comfortable. Salmon said they were all scared, herself included. 

“We told them we loved them,” Salmon said. “Lots of hugs and just continuing to lean on each other. The game is the game, and it didn’t matter win or lose what happened, I was just proud of them for stepping back out there and representing Central Michigan University.” 

And represent they did. The Chippewas went onto win their game that night 2-0 against Dartmouth. Sophomore Grace Lehto would show up for her team and record a career high eleven strikeouts in the circle, allowing just two hits.  

CMU finished the weekend 2-1, with its final game against North Carolina A&T being rained out in the fifth inning due to bad weather.