CMU wrestling claims MAC championship with victory over Buffalo

wrestling-1-30-0-5
Miami redshirt sophomore Jonny Lovett takes a breather after hurting his wrist Sunday, Jan. 30 at McGuirk Arena

Two pins and an overtime win fired Central Michigan up to victory over Buffalo for the 25th time out of 26 meetings between the two teams. This victory claimed a Mid-American Conference West Division title. The Chippewas are undefeated in the MAC with a record of 7-0 and have won 11 straight.

“This team really cares. They work hard and like each other,” said head coach Tom Borrelli. “They stay determined and focused” 

Senior Brock Bergelin opened the match with a win at 125 pounds. He won 3-0 to claim his seventh straight victory.

Buffalo would take the lead with graduate student Derek Spann against the Chippewas sophomore Vince Perez. Spann would control the match and leave Perez scoreless. His victory over Perez would give the Bulls a 4-3 lead.  

Buffalo’s lead didn’t last long as graduate student Dresden Simon and Ben Freeman took the mat for the 141-pound weight class. Despite an early take down from Buffalo’s Freeman, Simon would bounce back with an escape followed by a take down. It wasn’t long after that he took care of business and ended the match with a pin. Simon’s record improves to 15-4. 

Juniors Johnny Lovett and Michael Petite wrestling in the 157-pound weight class would need to go to overtime with the score tied at 1 after three periods. With two extra minutes on the clock, both wrestlers were quick and agile and looking to get the win. Lovett proved to be quicker, getting a take down and winning the match 3-1 and bringing the Chippewas' lead to 12-7.

Tracy Hubbard, Bret Fedwa, and Aaron Bolo would add onto the Chippewas score in their respected weight classes. 

Matt Stencel and Toby Cahill would close out the match wrestling in at 285 pounds. Getting another pin on the season, Matt Stencel took care of business and gave the Chippewas a final score of 28-10.

The pin was the 100th of Stencel's career. CMU will return to action at 6 p.m. Feb. 18 at Michigan State.