SGA discusses residence halls check-in policy, COVID-19 testing hours at Feb. 21 meeting

Senate upholds president's veto, two resolutions introduced

Virtual SGA meeting on Monday, Feb. 21

The Student Government Association met virtually on Feb. 21 to discuss updates to current legislation.

The SGA Senate upheld a veto by President Katelyn King meaning that “A Resolution to Call for Central Michigan University, the Central Michigan University Office of Residence Life and CMU Campus Dining to Take Action to Compensate the South and Towers Community Residents for Their Ongoing Hardship in Obtaining Meals” will not pass in its current form.

The author of the piece, Rafael Garza, intends to rewrite the legislation and possibly reintroduce it after spring break.

Other legislation like “A Resolution to Pressure the Central Michigan University Office of Residence Life to Change the Night Check-In Policy” was introduced to SGA at the virtual meeting. 

The resolution followed a survey conducted by Residence Housing Association and Garza - who also authored this piece - to gauge student opinions on the check-in policy in residence halls. Currently, the policy calls for all the side doors of residence halls to lock between 10p.m. and 7 a.m.

The survey revealed 69.6% of respondents reject the current check-in policy.

“The curfew in Mount Pleasant for those ages 12 and under is 10p.m., and 12p.m. for those ages 12-16,” said SGA Representative Luke Konzman. “So it’s almost like we are being compared to those aged 12 and under.” 

The resolution urges the Office of Residence Life to update the night-time policy to instead lock the side doors from 12 a.m. - 6 a.m., and encourages the change to occur within 14 days of the legislation passing. 

SGA members expressed general support for the piece but said they do not want to fully eliminate the check-in policy, adding that “safety trumps convenience”.

One student in the ROTC program also mentioned the struggle for ROTC students to gain access to East Campus Dining Halls early in the morning because only students that live in a given residence hall are able to access it from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.

“A Resolution to Encourage the Expansion of Hours for On-Campus Symptomatic and Close Contact COVID Testing” was also introduced at the meeting.  

Current COVID-19 testing hours in Foust Hall are limited from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., which according to legislation, presents difficulty for students trying to find a testing time that works with their schedules. The resolution encourages the University to keep the testing center open until 5 p.m., aligning testing hours with that of the Bovee University Center. It also recommends adding one weekend day to the testing schedule.

SGA members supported the legislation, but recognized that staffing the centers could be another issue if hours expand.

SGA tabled both new legislations until a future meeting. Next week, administration will attend SGA to speak on the recent renovation of Lot 22. 

Other News

The academic affairs committee will be sharing study tips and snacks during an event in the Down Under on March 4 from 1-5 p.m.