Chippewa lacrosse picks up MAC victory over Detroit Mercy

lacrosse-2-27-05

Junior midfielder Hailie Moore shouts to her teammates, Sunday Feb. 27, in the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex.

CMU picked up a huge 18-6 victory Wednesday gaining its first MAC win. The Chippewas are now 2-2 on the season and 1-0 in the MAC.

“I think the biggest learning lesson you know heading into this first MAC game is that we need to all be on the same page in our game plan and trust that game plan and that really was evident today,” head coach Sara Tisdale said.

The Chippewas got off to hot a start from the whistle, scoring 5 goals in the first quarter. All five were scored by different players. CMU did not let Detroit Mercy take a shot in the first quarter shutting them out.

“You know, I think obviously everybody knew that this is an important one to help us achieve our goal of bringing home that MAC championship but if anything, I would say the energy was so composed today. Nobody was too high. Nobody got too low when we made mistakes and really just willing to, you know, make adjustments as the game went up,” Tisdale said.

CMU took the lead going into the half up 11-3. The Chippewas were in complete control as they had 17 shots on goal to Detroit Mercy’s 4.

CMU was led in the first half by Maggie Diebold, who had a hat trick in the first half. Diebold now has a team leading 7 goals on the season.

The Chippewas did not stop there as they continued their dominance in the second half, adding three more goals in the third quarter to make the score 14-4 going into the 4th quarter. One of the Chippewa goals was scored Senior Courtney Burke for her second straight hattrick. Burke is tied with Diebold with 7 goals on the season.

The fourth quarter was dominated by the Hoyt sisters who combined for three goals in the quarter 2 by Kylie and 1 by Kendall, sealing the game for the Chippewas.

“It's a lot of fun to watch them play together and they had some injuries throughout their careers. And so, it's really nice to see that they’re both healthy at the same time and being able to play together,” Tisdale said.

The Chippewas saw three players get hat tricks in Audrey Whiteside, Maggie Diebold, and Courtney Burke. Also, just like against Butler, CMU saw nine different players score in the victory, which is tied for their season best.

Audrey Whiteside led the team with 5 points in the game scoring three goals and assisting on two more goals. Whiteside has found the back of the net in each of the Chippewas games so far this season.

CMU fixed its issues in limiting turnovers and creating shots, setting a season best in both stats in only 8 turnovers and 35 shots, 29 of them being on goal.

When asked if this was stressed throughout the week Tisdale said, “Yeah, absolutely. Especially, you know, and those two things really happen in transition, right. So, when we're successfully clearing the ball and taking care of the ball, we're obviously giving ourselves more opportunities. And so, it's the big difference maker today.”

CMU will look keep the momentum going as it travels to Loretto, Pennsylvania Friday March 4. to take on Saint Francis University.