CMU holds off Akron, improves to 3-1 in MAC play

lacrosse-2-27-04
Senior midfielder Julie Lindsey guards Butler senior attacker KK Callaghan, Sunday Feb. 27, Lacrosse/Soccer Complex.

CMU snapped its losing streak, defeating Akron 13-7 Wednesday. 

CMU (5-5, 3-1) started off the game hot in the first quarter, scoring the first five goals of the game. The Chippewas went up 5-1 in the first quarter. CMU had 14 shots in first quarter and only 2 turnovers. 

CMU stayed hot in the second quarter scoring 6 goals while only allowing 1 goal.

The Chippewas saw themselves with a 11-2 going into the half.

CMU was led by Maggie Diebold and Kelly Hoyt. Diebold scored an incredible five goals in the first half. She scored a hat-trick halfway into the first quarter. Hoyt scored a hat-trick of her own scoring two goals at the end of the first half.

The Chippewas out shot Akron 24-5 in the first half.

CMU struggled in the second half, only scoring two goals. 

Akron tried mounting a comeback in the fourth quarter scoring four goals, but it was not enough as the Chippewas held on for the win.

Diebold finished the game with 6 goals. She now has 29 goals on the season, almost averaging a hat-trick in every game.

CMU finished the game with only 11 turnovers to Akron’s 24. The Chippewas also finished the game with 37 shots with 22 of those on goal. Akron only took 15 shots in the game. CMU almost took that many in the first quarter.

Five players on CMU found the back of the net for the Chippewas in the win.

The Chippewas will look to stay hot as they travel to Milwaukee to take on Marquette University Sunday, March 27.