CMU wrestling finishes second at Mid-American Conference tournament

wrestling-1-of-6

Lapeer redshirt senior Matt Stencel wrestles his Northern Illinois opponent on Jan. 17, 2021 in the McGuirk Arena.  

After a weekend of wrestling, in Athens Ohio at Mid American Conference tournament, Central Michigan finished second with a score of 108.8 and will have three wrestlers heading to the NCAA tournament March 17-19 at Little Cesars Arena in Detroit. 

Matt Stencel would make history winning his fifth MAC title. Winning in trademark fashion, Stencel would pin both his opponents on Friday and punch his ticket to the NCAA tournament. Stencel would end the tournament with a close 4-2 victory over Isaac Reid of Lock Haven going 3-0 on the weekend. 

Wrestling in the 149 pound weight class, Corbyn Munson ended the weekend 4-1. After winning his two opening matches on Friday, including a pin and avenging an earlier loss to John Arceri, Munson would eventually fall to Marcus Robinson of Clevland State and fall into the consolation bracket. 

Winning his two matches on Saturday, including a close match against Lock Haven's Dashawn Farber Munson was the first Chippewa to punch his ticket to the NCAA tournament. Munson would finish off the tournament with a close 1-0 win over  Arceri to place third.

Johnny Lovett would punch his ticket to the NCAA tournament after going 2-0 on Fridays matches. He sat in the number one seed and faced off against Ben Barton of Lock Haven. After a close and hard fought match. Lovett would fall to Barton 2-1 placing second in the 157 pound weight class. He finishes the weekend 2-1. 

Aaron Bolo finished third in the 197 pound weight class after defeating Ryan Yarnell of SIUE. Bolo would finish the weekend 4-1 and place third in the 197 weight class in his final showing as a Chippewa. 

Top seed in the 141 pound weight class Dresden Simon was upset, going 1-2 on Friday and eliminating him from the tournament. 

Brock Bergelin (125) and Tracy Hubbard (165) finish off the weekend in fourth place. Bret Fedwa (174) finished in fifth place. 

Stencel, Munson and Lovett will head to Detroit Michigan at Little Cesars arena to take the NCAA mat on March 17th.