CMU softball falls to Michigan State in six innings

edits-18
California sophomore Gisele Acuná, middle, throws the ball during a game April 4 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

Central Michigan (11-12, 2-1) was shut down by Michigan State (16-10), falling 8-0 Tuesday at Secchia Stadium.  

The Chippewas started off strong with back-to-back hits in the first inning, but runners were soon stranded in scoring position by the Spartan defense. 

Kaitlyn Bean took the mound once again for the Chippewas, facing 25 batters and allowing six runs and having the only strikeout for CMU. Maddy Wallace and Faith Howe pitched in relief. 

The Spartans arrived at the plate with bats in motion securing a run from a pair of walks and a double down the right side to move a run across the plate. 

Not stopping there, the Spartans produced back-to-back hits from Courtney Callahan and Camryn Wincher up the left side.  A wild pitch by Bean moved them in scoring position. Another set of rips up the left side brought in two Spartans across the plate to take a lead of 3-0.

Despite making contact, the Chippewas couldn't move further due to all efforts from the Spartans pitching and defense as they got put down 1,2,3. 

A quiet inning for both teams led to the Chippewas most productive inning. The Chippewas started off with Alyssa Hollo ripping a single to the right side. A walk and a single through the right side by Abbey Tolmie advanced a runner to scoring position but the Chippewas lost the chance to start a rally. 

A rowdy fifth inning at the plate for the Spartans grew their lead. The Spartans first pulled in two runs off a wild pitch and a single to left field. Wallace was brought in for Bean and the Spartans didn’t blink. The Spartans brought in another run due to a wild pitch and a double to center field. The Spartans led 7-0. 

The Spartans brought in Catie Ladd in the sixth inning to relieve Ashley Miller who had five strikeouts and allowed five hits. The pitching change was a moment for the Chippewas to spark a change at the plate. The Chippewas worked on two outs as Kelsey Alexander ripped a triple to left center but was stranded at the end of the inning. 

A pitching change by the Chippewas didn’t stop the Spartans as Wincher took advantage of a free base on a full count. A single through the right side by Alexis Barroso moved the runner in position to score. With no outs Ladd stepped up to the plate and lined out to center field bringing Wincher home, ending the game 8-0. 

The Chippewas will welcome Ball State to Margo Jonker Stadium for the Chippewas home opener on Friday at 3 p.m.