Food bank to offer local drive-thru distribution

greatlansingfoodbank

The Greater Lansing Food Bank will host a drive-thru mobile food distribution at the MidMichigan Medical Center, 4851 E. Pickard Rd., on March 25.

The food bank will distribute a variety of nutritional foods to those in need including canned food, boxed food, meat, dairy and produce.

Registration will open at 9 a.m. where cars can line up and attendees will be asked to provide their name and the amount of people within their household. The distribution of food will begin at 10 a.m. and end at either 12 p.m. or whenever inventory runs out. 

The food distribution was originally only open to Isabella County residents, but the food bank decided to open it to anyone in need of food. 

The food bank requests that those attending make room in their trunks so that volunteers can place any food in the back of the vehicle. This allows the person driving to not have to leave their car. 

They also request attendees take proper precautions to stop the spread of COVID-19 by wearing a mask or face covering. Those with symptoms of COVID-19 are asked to stay home and arrange for another person to pick the food up for them.

The Greater Lansing Food Bank began hosting drive-thru mobile food distributions as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the food bank discovered it worked well.

“It was birthed to get food out in the Mount Pleasant area for people in a safe manner,'' Marketing and Communications Manager Michael Steibel said. “It was kind of a result of the pandemic, but it just ended up being something that people really liked doing, so we kept it going.”

The food bank expects the Mount Pleasant drive-thru mobile food distribution to have a large turnout, especially this time of year.

“The turnout varies from mobile to mobile and depending on the day and time, but usually the one in Mount Pleasant is full,” Steibel said.

For more information about the drive-thru mobile food distribution, call the Greater Lansing Food Bank at 517- 908-3680