Griffin Forum panelist discuss policy within the rising cannabis industry

griffin-cannabis-policy-forum
Panelists from the Cannabis Policy: Hashing It Out open forum pose for a photo on March 15 in the Bovee University Center.

Michigan's authorities on the cannabis industry and marijuana law met at the Spring 2022 Griffin Forum last night in the Bovee University Rotunda to discuss the past and future of weed in the state.

The panel consisted of John Fraser, the Michigan Team Leader of Dykema’s Cannabis Practice, Andrew Brisbo, executive director of Michigan’s Marijuana Regulatory Agency, Jerome Crawford, director of Legal Operations and Social Equity at Pleasantrees, Ben Sobczak, Chief Legal Officer of Pleasantrees and Representative Yousef Rabhi, representative for Michigan’s 53rd district.

Chad Livengood, Senior Editor for Crain’s Detroit Buisness, asked questions moderated the forum.

After opening remarks from the Griffin Endowed Chair Andrea LaFontaine, Provost Richard Rothaus and Director of Diversity Education Nikita Murry - Livengood launched into questions.   

Fraser started by giving a history on how cannabis became the multi-million dollar industry it is today. Humans have, in fact, used cannabis for as long as 12,000 years when land-owning colonist were required to grow cannabis.

It wasn’t until the Pure Food and Drug Act in 1906, that a law was created to require labeling of cannabis in products, Fraser said. He explained that cannabis was legal until 1937, and that propaganda had been the cause of prohibition. 

Fraser identified the sharp legal distinction between the marijuana and industrial hemp industries

Hemp can be used make dozens of products from textiles to insulation and topical medicine. It must have less than 0.3% THC, the psychoactive component found in Marijuana.

Now that both medical and recreational marijuana is legal, Brisbo was asked what his agency's main responsibilities are.

After it’s legalization through a ballot initiative in 2008, Brisbo explained, there was no legal framework for the growth and distribution of medicinal cannabis. This caused states to register patients, so they could produce cannabis for medicinal purposes he said.  

Once medical dispensaries began popping up, the demand for recreational use only increased.

Brisbo highlighted that the Michigan Marijuana Regulatory Agency (Soon to be renamed the Michigan Cannabis Regulatory Agency) is tasked with helping to distribute licenses for store owners reaching out to other states who have already gone through the processes of making cannabis legal.

Livengood then Crawford asked what companies like his are doing to make the industry more equitable.

Crawford highlighted that many people that were previously criminalized due to the use of cannabis now struggle to become involved with the industry. 

“The same folks that were hit the hardest from it are less inclined, or less able, to participate,” Crawford said.

He explained that his company has created a social equity plan founded on four pillars; helping people participate in the industry, de-stigmatizing the truth about cannabis, advocating for those in jail for non-violent cannabis crimes and supporting the surrounding community of a cannabis-based business. 

Sobczak then discussed the ins and outs of operating a cannabis company in Michigan - starting with its many difficulties.

Credit cards cannot be used for retail, everything has to be paid with cash and financing is extremely difficult Sobczak said.

“It sucks,” Sobczak said, “We have to give a bunch of paperwork to the bank all the time."

Rabhi was asked how legislatures view cannabis and what kinds of legislation was in the works to improve the social and economic impact of the industry.

Because voters were the ones to decide to legalize cannabis, Legislatures seem to be more comfortable talking about the topic and acting upon it Rabhi said. 

“I think that legislatures are here to follow what the public’s wishes are on this issue,” Rabhi said.

Rabhi then explained that people are behind bars when they could have the same business opportunities as others have, and that they’re currently in jail for something that is now legal. 

An Automatic Expungement System is currently in the works to be completed in the next couple of years Rabhi said. Upon completion, the system would clear criminal records immediately.

Rabhi also introduced a bill to no longer consider cannabis as a substance that is highly likely to be abused. 

Concluding Questions

1. What is the role of home growers in the future of cannabis regulations in Michigan?

Fraser responded by acknowledging that Michigan is one of the few states to allow cannabis to be grown at home, but there are limits set in place. He said that people cannot grow and sell their own cannabis; however, they’re allowed to grow up to 12 plants to use on their own or share with others. 

“There is legislation currently before us that will severely limit the ability of caregivers to grow in the state of Michigan,” Rabhi added.

2. What’s going on in Detroit with licensing and social equity?

Fraser said that he believes Detroit is working on rewriting their adult-use ordinance. Crawford added that minority communities are missing out on opportunities for adult-use retail stores. 

Brisbo followed up with statistical evidence that showed there is catching up to do with equity concerns. 

“80% of the individuals incarcerated in federal prisons for marijuana related crimes are Black or Latino,” Brisbo said, “While studies have continuously shown that the rate of cannabis possession and use is consistent across all demographic groups,”.

3. Where people can legally smoke marijuana in Michigan. 

Fraser responded that marijuana cannot be consumed in public, but there are designated areas that do allow it. Rabhi added that if cannabis is rescheduled as a non-abusive substance, then it would be legal to use in public. 

4. Where are the cannabis bars?

Brisbo explained that there are local concerns for communities, and there are concerns for the workers that would be in that environment all day. He also said that it wouldn’t be profitable for businesses because customers would bring their own. 

5. What can universities do to educate students and the public on the cannabis industry and its history?

Brisbo spoke saying that forums like these help others understand the topic further, and that his agency is trying to get post-secondary education to have the ability to grow cannabis plants and do research.