CMU softball sweeps Long Island in double header

softball-4-24-6

Albuquerque junior Shannon Stein hits the ball during the Chippewa's game against Buffalo April 24 in Margo Jonker Stadium. 

Finishing up their week in the sunshine state of Florida, Central Michigan put on a well-rounded display to secure a sweep over Long Island University. The Chippewas took down Long Island in both games, winning the first 5-1 and the second 6-1.  

Game One

Hot bats, pitching, and defense lead the Chippewas to a 5-1 win over Long Island university. Michaleigh Vallimont would open the scoring for the Chippewas offense with a two-run homer. The Chippewas would record a total of nine hits in six innings. 

Long Island would be quick to respond and cut the Chippewas lead in half, making the score 2-1. 

Grace Lehto would take the mound for the Chippewas. Lehto and the Chippewa defense would only allow Long Island to score one run and three hits. Long Island went three up and three down in the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth inning. Lehto recorded her fourth win of the season. 

The Chippewas bats would stay fired up in the fourth with a bunt from Caitlyn Britton to move Kelsey Alexander into scoring position. Sammi Mills would capitalize with a single up the middle to score Tailynn Knapp who pinch ran for Britton and bring the score to 3-1. Continuing to lay down bunts, Lucy Cronin executes a beautiful bunt that scores Mills. The Chippewas end the fourth inning with a 5-1 lead over Long Island. 

Game Two 

Looking to take the lead early, Long Island hit a ball deep into centerfield that was looking to go over the fence, but, Abbey Tolmie robbed them of that chance and kept them off the board.  

Maddy Wallace would take the mound for her second career start. She would pitch four innings only giving up one run. before Faith Howe took the mound in the fifth. Wallace would get the win and only give up one run. Howe would pitch the final three innings and keep Long Island off the board. 

Tolmie would show her skills on defense in center field with a diving catch in the fourth and gunning down a runner at first base. 

Long Island would open the scoring in the second and take a 1-0 lead over the Chippewas.

The Chippewas would respond quickly in the fourth with two run homer from Shannon Stein to score herself and Tolmie, gaining a 2-1 lead over Long Island.   

Kelsey Alexander would extend the Chippewas lead to 3-1 in the sixth with her third homer of the year. 

The Chippewas would stay fired up in the seventh with an RBI single from Emily Bracamonte to knock in Vallimont who got on bas with a walk to make the score 5-1. Alexander would continue to stay hot with an RBI single up the middle to knock in Knapp who pinch ran for  Bracamonte and bring the Chippewas final score to 6 and Long Island 1.   

The Chippewas head to Loiusville Kentucky on March 10th for the Louisville Bluegrass Challenge.