CMU softball takes series opener vs Toledo

20220409-img-1947
General cap: CMU Softball takes the win against Northern Illinois Huskies, Saturday, April 9, at Margo Jonker Stadium. With a clean sweep of 4-0, the overall team's record stands at 15-15. Photo cap: Illinois sophomore, Caitlyn Britton, being welcomed by her team after hitting a home-run, Saturday, April 9.

A snowy day at the softball diamond didn’t have an effect on Central Michigan (18-19, 9-6) softball as it took down the Toledo Rockets (9-29, 2-14) 11-4 Tuesday at Margo Jonker Stadium.

“I liked how we set the tone early and just came out and jumped up on them, in these types of conditions taking care of business and not trying to do too much,'' said head Coach McCall Salmon. “We were lucky in this win to even put a couple balls over the fence as well, so I thought across the board our hitters adjusted well and did what we asked.”

In their first at bat the Chippewas took an early lead, 4-0, off a pair of two-run homers from Shannon Stein and Caitlyn Britton. The Chippewas continued to take the ball on a ride resulting in a Toledo pitching change in the first inning. 

The Rockets followed in the Chippewas lead with a line drive up the middle to start the second inning. A long shot to left center by Sidney Griffith drove in a run for the Rockets making the score 4-1.

With help from many Chippewa batters, CMU upped its lead to 9-1 in the second inning. With two runners in scoring position, Stein and Michaleigh Valimont's bats cleared the bases. Hits from Britton, Skylar Coberley and Emily Bracamonte also added to the Chippewas lead. 

With the top of the fifth inning nearly ending as well as the game, a hit by pitch and a walk put runners on for the Rockets with two outs. Aubrey Reed kept the Rockets' chance alive with a three-run homer to make the score 9-4.

Grace Lehto got the start in the circle for the Chippewas, pitching all seven innings. Lehto finished the day allowing seven hits, two walks and two strikeouts 

The Chippewas continued to grow their lead with bases loaded as Britton and Kelsey Alexander both drew in an RBI walk. With the winning run on third base, the Rockets shut the Chippewas down with a foul catch.

The Rockets were shut down by the Chippewa defense and came back to stop the Chippewas before their last chance at the bats. But the Chippewas took the Rockets down in 1,2,3 to end the game. 

The Chippewas will be back home tomorrow (4/20) for a double header as they continue their three-game series with the Rockets starting at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.