CM Life named best all-around student newspaper at regional awards

Central Michigan Life staff take a group photo outside Moore Hall in May, 2021.

The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) announced dozens of winners for its regional competition last week. Central Michigan Life was named best all-around student newspaper and a staff member received recognition for their work. 

CM Life won the Corbin Gwaltney Award for Best All-Around Student Newspaper for its work published in 2021 — continuing its three-year winning streak since 2019.

Current Sports Editor Christian Booher was also a finalist for best breaking news reporting for his coverage of an off campus shooting which resulted in a football player being in critical condition. 

"The 2021 staff deserves all the praise," CM Life Editor-in-Chief Michael Livingston said. "It's been an insane year to be a student journalist at CMU, and it definitely hasn't been easy. I think we've done an excellent job of keeping students informed and engaged with our work."

The Region 4 Mark of Excellence (MOE) awards comprise Michigan, Ohio, Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia. CM Life will compete at the national level among other regional MOE winners from the 12 SPJ regions.

National winners will be notified in the late spring and will be recognized at the MediaFest22 convention in Washington, D.C., Oct. 27-30.

Mark of Excellence Award entries are judged by professionals with at least three years of journalism experience. 

See the full list of winners on the Society of Professional Journalists' website.