CMU lacrosse dominates in MAC victory over Detroit Mercy

lacrosse-4-9-6
Graduate midfielder runs towards teammate Avery Wagnon after being introduced on Saturday, April 9, at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex.

Central Michigan lacrosse (7-6, 5-1) got a huge 18-9 victory over Detroit Mercy at home. It was senior day for the Chippewas, who remain in the hunt for first place in the Mid-American Conference with the win. The win was the 100th in head coach Sarah Tisdale's career.  

CMU started off the game hot with a dominant first half out scoring the Titans 12-4 in the half. Kelly Hoyt led the charge in the first quarter with two goals. 

CMU kept their feet on the gas as they outscored the Titans 8-3 in the second quarter. Reigning MAC Offensive Player of the Week Maggie Diebold scored three goals in the second quarter, while Hoyt added two to her total. 

CMU kept dominating in the second half as they outscored the Titans 4-1 in the third quarter. Hoyt and Diebold each found the back of the net again in the quarter.

The Titans tried making a comeback in the fourth quarter, scoring four goals, but it wasn’t enough as CMU got the victory and got above the .500 mark on the season once again.

The Chippewas had three players score hat tricks in Audrey Whiteside, Diebold, and Hoyt. Hoyt finished the game with six goals, Whiteside finished with five and Diebold continued her streak of scoring four or more goals in her last five games.

Hoyt was named MAC Offensive Player of the Week on April 12 for her efforts. Her 23 goals rank third on the team, with 19 coming over the team's last six games. 

Goalkeeper Alexa Martel made four saves in the win, upping her record to 3-2 on the season. 

The Chippewas will look to stay on this win streak as they travel to Kent State to take on the Golden Flashes in another MAC game Saturday Apr. 16.

With four games remaining on the schedule, CMU is currently one game behind MAC leader Robert Morris. The Colonials will come to Mount Pleasant for a rematch April 23 that could decide the conference champion. In the first meeting between the two teams, Robert Morris defeated CMU 17-16.