CMU lacrosse gets MAC victory over Youngstown State

lacrosse-2-27-01
Freshman attacker Jozy Allen runs after a loose ball, Sunday Feb. 27, at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex. GENERAL: CMU Chippewas Lacrosse takes down the Butler Bulldogs in a hard fought game with a final score of 16-11, Sunday Feb. 27, at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex. This win takes their record to 1-2.

CMU got its fourth Mid-American Conference win of the season Saturday against Youngstown State, winning 20-11. CMU (6-6, 4-1) is second in the MAC only behind Robert Morris, who is 6-0 in the MAC.

The first half was tightly played and close. Youngstown State took the lead 4-3 after the first quarter. The Chippewas answered back though in the second quarter outscoring Youngstown State 5-4 in the quarter to make it 8-8 going into the half.

The Chippewas were led by seniors Brennan Paddy and Maggie Diebold, who scored a combined five goals in the first half. Paddy scored a hat trick in the first half and set a team record with 13 draw controls. 

CMU took off in the second half outscoring Youngstown State 12-3. 

The Chippewas scored five goals in the third quarter. CMU outshot Youngstown State 8-5 in the quarter. CMU also caused Youngstown State to commit six turnovers in the quarter.

The Chippewas outscored Youngstown State 7-2 in the fourth quarter.

Paddy and Diebold continued their dominance in the second half. Diebold who won MAC offensive player of the week award scored 5 goals in the second half. Diebold finished the game with a personal and team best seven goals. Paddy scored a goal in both the third and fourth quarters, finishing the game with five goals.

CMU had 8 players find the back of the net.

The Chippewas only allowed 13 turnovers in the game. CMU also, took 40 shots with 31 of the shots being on goal.

The Chippewas will look to stay hot as they come back home to take on Detroit Mercy Saturday Apr. 9.