CMU lacrosse loses heartbreaker to Youngstown State

lacrosse-4-9-3
Senior midfielder Brennan Paddy charges towards the neton Saturday, April 9, at the Lacrosse/Soccer Complex.

Central Michigan's Mid-American Conference championship hopes were dashed Monday as it lost a close game against Youngstown State 11-10. CMU (8-7, 6-2) is two games back of unbeaten conference leader Robert Morris. 

The Chippewas still are slated to take on the Colonials one more time, as the teams are scheduled to meet up Saturday in Mount Pleasant. Yet, the two game deficit will be tough to make up with just two remaining on the schedule.

Robert Morris jumped out to an early 3-0 lead, but CMU followed with goals by Kendall Hoyt and Hannah Potter to trail only 3-2 after the first quarter.

CMU and Youngstown State went back and forth in the second quarter trading goals. Each team scored two goals in the quarter to make the score 5-4 in favor of the Penguins going into halftime.

The Penguins started off the third quarter hot as they scored two straight to make the score 7-4. The Chippewas did not give up though, answering right back by scoring three straight goals to tie the game at 7. Youngstown State notched a key goal at the end of the quarter, however, and led 8-7 after three. 

In the fourth quarter the Penguins had a 11-8 lead with five minutes left in the game. Diebold led a comeback, scoring back-to-back goals with under a minute left. The Penguins regrouped and held the Chippewas scoreless in the final moments to cement the win.

It was the first time Youngstown State had ever beaten CMU in lacrosse. 

CMU took 39 shots during the game, but only 20 of the shots were on goal. Also, the Chippewas turned it over 15 times during the game.

The Chippewas had 7 players find the back of the net in the game. Diebold scored a hattrick with 3 goals on the day. She has now scored a hattrick in her last 6 games. Diebold also leads the team in goals this season with 50.