CMU softball takes series against WMU

softball-3-25-4
Utility player Kelsey Alexander takes a swing for the ball on Friday, March 25 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

After splitting a Saturday double header against biggest rival Western Michigan, Central Michigan (22-20, 13-7) shutout Western Michigan Sunday 6-0 to claim the series win. 

Game One 

The Chippewas built on their early lead to secure the win 3-1 against the Broncos on Saturday in the first game of the three-game series. 

In the top of the third inning with bases loaded, Abbey Tolmie stood at third base. A wild pitch passed the catcher and to the backstop, allowing Tolmie to sprint home and take the lead 1-0. 

The Chippewa defense didn't allow the Broncos to seek any opportunities to score as they stranded eight total runners on base in game one. They ended the bottom of the third inning in an around-the-horn double play. 

In the top of the fourth, the Chippewas built the lead with Kelsey Alexander in scoring position and Sammi Mills clearing the bases on a double to left center.  

The bats started to warm up for the Broncos leading up to the sixth inning as they reached the board off a Courtney Farrish home run to left center field with a score of 3-1 in what would be the Broncos only run of the game. 

Gace Lehto got the start and finish in the circle for the Chippewas. Lehto allowed one run on six hits and had four strikeouts. 

Game Two 

The Broncos came back early to set the tone early in the second game leading to a 5-0 win over the Chippewas. 

For the second time of the day,  Farrish went yard. This time, it was a two-run shot.

Kaitlyn Bean got the start for the Chippewas allowing six hits, five runs and four strikeouts in three innings. Caitlyn Britton came in for relief allowing one hit and no runs. 

Meanwhile, the Broncos took advantage of the lack of offense produced by the Chippewas as they scored three more runs in the second inning off two doubles, a single and a Chippewa error.

Reily Galloway was in the circle for the Broncos. Galloway racked up 10 strikeouts and didn't allow a base runner, notching the first perfect game by a Bronco in 38 years. 

Game Three

After a game two shutout loss to tie the series at one, it was the Chippewas turn to shut out the Broncos and score their own runs, winning 6-0. 

Lehto took the circle for the Chippewas and pitched a complete game. She struck out four batters, walked two, and gave up zero runs on three hits. With the help of her defense, Lehto managed to sit the Broncos down 1-2-3 in the first, third, and sixth inning. Lehto's dominating pitching brings her tally to 13-9 on the season. 

An RBI single from Shannon Stein started the scoring, as she drove in pinch runner Tessa Nuss in the third inning. After Lehto stranded a leadoff double, the Chippewas added five runs in the sixth inning thanks in part to home runs from pinch hitter Alyssa Hollo and Stein. 

Britton also drove in a run. 

What's Next

The Chippewas return home for a series against Buffalo, beginning with a showdown at 3 p.m. Friday.