Seventh annual diversity symposium to be held April 27

4th-annual-diversity-and-inclusion-symposium76
Breakout sessions during the 4th Annual Diversity and Inclusion Symposium talk about gender on April 9 in the UC Mackinaw Room.

The Office of Diversity Education will host an all-day Diversity Symposium with presentations from educators and students from various universities on April 27.

The day will start with a free breakfast in the Bovee University Center from 7:45 - 8:45 a.m. where students can have an open conversation with Nolan Cabrera about activism, social justice and advocating for change at predominantly white institutions.

“It was important that we do something specifically just for students,” said Dr. Nikita Murry, the Director of Diversity Education. "Because we're really focused on helping to create an inclusive campus, where everyone feels as though even if they choose not to lift their voice, they can have a voice.”

Cabrera is a professor at the University of Arizona with studies and writings focused on having effective dialogue around race, racism and anti-racism, specifically on college campuses.

Presentations will begin at 8:55 a.m. in the Park Library Opperman Auditorium with introductions from Dr. Murry and President Bob Davies. Throughout the day, presenters will discuss a variety of topics relating to diversity.

“The diversity symposium is for everybody,” Murry said. “We hope from the list of presenters as well as all the ways in which we're creating avenues for people to engage, that they will engage.” 

Central Michigan University employees are encouraged to attend for Soup and Dialogue from 12 - 1 p.m. in the UC terrace rooms. Attendees can enjoy a free lunch while Cabrera leads a conversation about “calling in the culture”. Register for the event online.

“Specifically support staff, who don't often get a chance to attend things that are offered during traditional hours,” Dr. Murry said. “They can come in, they can listen to Nolan Cabrera's presentation and then if they want to submit a question that will be fed back to him, they can.”

The last presentation starts at 7:30 p.m., where the Muslim Student Association, Empowered Latino Union, and Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc. will discuss Arabic influences of the Spanish language.

Presentations during the day will be livestreamed.

This will be the second in-person Diversity Symposium since the start of the pandemic.